Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wednesday Morning Gossip!!

Folks in the Washington, D.C. area should hurry up and get their tickets to the big Desi New Year's Eve Party at Heritage! Just one day left!!

You can get your tickets here!

And read more about it: Washington Post, Metromix calls it " worth dressing for", and
NBC Washington!

It should be a good time so hurry and get your tickets!!!

So, now... GOSSIP!

* Actually, no, first is the cutest thing you will read all day - I promise!!!

Prepare yourself, from 14-year old Manpreet Kaur Sandhu in Kuala Lumpur comes this letter on NST.com:

Bollywood films have definitely made an impact this year with the number of movies released. In India, there’s a huge actor and actress fan following. Even in Malaysia, the fan following is not bad at all. Other than the story lines, songs and choreography, some Hindi films send out good messages that should be remembered by everyone.

Don’t stop watching Bollywood movies as they are bound to get better next year!

Click on the link and read the whole thing because it is SO CUTE! (And, apparently, Manpreet and I have exactly the same taste in films.)

* UTV announces their upcoming releases, which include: Chance Pe Dance, Rajneeti, Guzarish, and Delhi Belly!

* Bebo is confirmed for Golmaal 3 - and even better, she is not anyone's love interest! She's doing pure comedy! Also interesting is the choice to include both Sharman Joshi AND Shreyas Talpade. This is going to be hilarious! I can't wait!

* Bollywood Hungama gives a positive review for Pancham Unmixed - the RD Burman retrospective book and DVD.

* Neha Dhupia makes me realize that she is in Rat Gayi Baat Gayi with the folks who did Bheja Fry. I might actually go see this one, now. I like Neha - she was great in Dus Kahaniyan, Singh is Kinng, and De Dana Dan.

* Ahhhh! I love Akshay Kumar!!! He is waiving his fee for the next two films. He explains that if the films are hits, his production house will be getting a share of the profits, so he'll get paid then. It's also nice that he's stable enough in the industry to be able to afford to do this.

* A variety of Bollywood directors list their favorite films:

The lists are a lot of 3 Idiots, Paa, Avatar, blah blah, but here are a few of my favorite favorites:

Tarun Mansukhani: “Wake Up Sid. An actor was discovered, a writer-director was born and a great story was told. What more could be asked for?”

Prakash Jha: “I haven’t had the time to watch any of the films this year.”

Rensil D'Silva: “Dev D. Anurag Kashyap did a fresh take on a story I’ve always disliked. Dev D made me fall in love with the story!”

* I like this review of the OST for Dulha Mil Gaya even though Esha Razdan starts out trashing it. It's a really funny piece; she starts by being annoyed at the retro sounds - especially of "Aaja Aaja Mere Ranjha" - but then finds herself liking it almost despite herself. I've totally done the same thing before with albums (I'm thinking of my Kurbaan review) so it's funny to see somebody else do it.

* How about a LOL!Tastic list of the Worst Films of Year?!

Highlights! (Lowlights?)

Overrated!

KURBAAN - This film has got so many plot holes you'd want to bomb writer Rensil D'Silva's office. Characters, who seem to be smart, convincing and well fleshed out suddenly take buffoonish decisions.

The cringe-inducing scene: Kareena sleeps with terrorist Saif to 'steal some documents' instead of calling the cops. Vivek Oberoi turning into Homer Simpson towards the climax.

Unreasonably Horrid!

WHAT'S YOUR RASHEE - An unfunny, poorly-made, creepy vanity project. Looking at Harman Baweja for 210 minutes is not funny at all.

The Horror: Harman saying 'Jesus Christ!'

Vomit Inducing!

MAIN AUR MRS KHANNA - Utterly ridiculous, flat-out boring, thinly plotted, poorly dialogued trite material that seems better suited for afternoon shows on the small screen.

The Vomitory: Sohail Khan.

* Rajni did some sort of dangerous stunt on a train for Endhiran: OMFG IS THIS COMING OUT ALREADY?

* And I'm concerned that nobody tipped me off to this gem called High School.

Enjoy a song promo with that "oomph" queen Kiran Rathod!

3 comments:

shell said...

Oh no, as I read India.com's list of worst films I realize that I have several of those movies sittin amongst my pile waiting to be watched and I think what am I in store for! However, I did sit through Life Partner, Dil Bole Hadippa, CCTC and K.I. and made it through them okay.

I wish I could hope a plane for D.C. tomorrow. Sure would beat sitting at home!

San said...

Dev D was definitely one of the finest movies this year. I haven't seen any of the golmaal movies yet, they just never appear appealing.

rhilex said...

LOL at that 'worst films' article's description of Blue as an 'extremely violent swimsuit calendar'. I mean, I haven't seen Blue, but... you gotta admit, that's funny!

And was it really such a bad year for Hindi cinema? There may not have been a lot of mega-blockbuster hits, but there seem to have been a lot of good films. I've only seen Luck By Chance and Kaminey (and really liked both), so maybe I shouldn't judge. But tons of people seemed to have liked Dev D., Luck By Chance, Love Aaj Kal, Kaminey, Wake Up Sid, Paa, Three Idiots, Rocket Singh... And more I'm probably forgetting but can't check right now because my internet's busted. :P

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl