Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tuesday Gossip!

Goooood morning! I'm back in the office again today - but not for too long before we have our New Year's holiday.

Speaking of - folks in the Washington, D.C. area should hurry up and get their tickets to the big Desi New Year's Eve Party at Heritage!

You can get your tickets here! It should be an amazing night!

Let's see what's in the old google news reader, shall we?

* Nikhat Kazmi over at the Times of India feeds the unfortunate insecurity complex that some Bollywood filmmakers have about "catching up" to Hollywood.

I hate articles like this because they are always written by movie buffs who have turned their backs on Bollywood - they forget that Bollywood evolved parallel to Hollywood not from it. Matlab, Bollywood operates by a different set of filmmaking rules. You can't force one to be like the other - when you do, you get bizarre concoctions like 8 x 10 Tasveer and Chandni Chowk to China.

The other things that bothers me about these types of articles are a) that they ignore the copious amounts of dreck produced by Hollywood and b) that they tend to put a high premium on things like "special effects," which have nothing to do with the actual quality of a film being made.

Anyways.

* Southall has opened its arms to Nikhil Advani's Patiala House.

* Mohinder goes Bollywood? Sendhil Ramamurhty has signed a film called Shor with Etka and Tusshar.

* Here is a excellent list of books for aspiring Bollywood professors (aka moi!) Check it out!

I've only read one of the recommended books but I'm going to be sure and add the rest to my amazon cart!

* Mahesh Bhatt explains that songs are the soul of movies.

* My girl Katrina Kaif loves Christmas!

* And Namitha is doing a Kannada film!

4 comments:

lvrplfc4l said...

Great comment on the love for special effects, while I found Avatar visually stunning the story and acting sucked. I would much rather watch Kaminey or Love Aaj Kal then an opus to technology. I've had a similar argument on whether Sherlock Holmes or Avatar was the better movie, my choice is Holmes as it is a movie not a technology fest.

Filmi Girl said...

@lvrpflc4l That's what I heard about "Avatar," too. I liked "Sherlock Holmes" a lot! It reminded me a little of Bollywood (strong male friendship, plenty of dishoom-dishoom, comedy/action/drama) - minus the songs, of course. ;P

I just hate reading the industry putting itself down for not having "good" special effect when "good" special effects are not what makes a movie worth watching. :)

lvrplfc4l said...

I've always thought Guy Ritchie had a little Bollywood influence in his films. I absolutely love the dance scene in RocknRolla between Gerard Butler and Thandie Newton.
I would love to see Thandie Newton in a Bollywood movie, maybe opposite Saif or Aamir and how about Mark Strong, my favorite villain, as the bad guy. Didn't you just love Lord Blackwood as villain in Holnes.

Filmi Girl said...

Lord Blackwood was a great villain! I wouldn't mind seeing this one remade as a Bollywod film... there aren't enough good villains in Bollywood these days. ;D

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl