Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thursday News! And Gossip! Mostly Gossip!

I hope everyone had a chance to read my EPIC SMACK-DOWN of Overdorf's latest piece of culturally ignorant "reporting." Just click one post back and you'll find it!

Moving on to much more amusing things...

* A fan (not me) slashed her wrists in order to meet Akshay Kumar. The story is actually pretty horrifying and it's clear that she has some sort of mental illness.

* Ranbir Kapoor hilariously hints that the uncles who are playing "2os" are ridiculous.

"Today, I am 26 years old and one thing that I am really sure about is that I would continue to play roles that suit my age. Yes, all the films that you mention do have me playing a young character but that's all cool. Tomorrow when I turn 40, I would play other kinds of roles too."

Notice how it's not 'tomorrow, when I'm 40, I'll continue to play roles appropriate for a 26-year old.'

* Bebo has not yet been approached for Golmaal 3. (Boo! I want to see her in Golmaal 3! Bebo is hilarious!)

* Priyadarshan states facts and says:

"'Films are meant to generate a mass reaction. No point in making a film with one of the biggest stars of the country which only a handful of people want to watch.'"

And talking about the critical reaction to De Dana Dan:

''Some of them have commented on how massy it is. Others have said they couldn't follow the plot. Even my driver was able to follow what was going on.''

The whole article is worth reading - apparently De Dana Dan has been a big hit in Pakistan AND (good news!) the rain song is being put back in starting Saturday!

* Lata Mangeshkar was honored by the French Film Festival. (You wouldn't know her, Overdorf, she's one of those "so-called" playback-singers. I hear she doesn't even writer her own songs! *gasp*)

* Al Jazeera talks about digital piracy in Bollywood.

* My girl Hard Kaur is stepping up the fight against sexual discrimination!

* Thanks to Kurbaan's super-flop status, it's budget cuts for Agent Vinod.

* Poor Asha Parekh was misquoted about Dilip Kumar!

* And, finally, Shahid Kapoor is ditching the six pack! Too much work to maintain!

12 comments:

eliza bennet said...

I wish the press was sensible enough not to issue the slashing wrists fan story. This may give other disturbed fans the idea of how to approach a star and someone of them may have serious physical damages, these things can be life threatening.

There was a similar (actually similarly horrifying) story in Hong Kong and the actor/singer in question didn't publicly helped the disturbed fan (but an unnamed source helped the fan out)

I think Ranbir should not speak too early (and I really don't get the appeal of this guy but then again I only watched Sawariya)

Overdorf guy sounds misinformed and he surely didn't make a proper research. I don't know much about music so I'll refrain from commenting over that issue (ok apart from this one - heh) but the least one can do is get their facts right no?

Emily said...

Good for Shahid! It must be exhausting for all those poor guys to work out constantly and eat the world's dullest food to maintain that kind of body. Hopefully he stays with the "loverboy look" after this, it suits him much better.

Filmi Girl said...

@eliza I agree that it's irresponsible to report on this - of course, I went ahead and forwarded on the story. :( I guess it's interesting to me that this stalking behavior makes the news, when they should probably keep it quiet to discourage others from following the example.

@Emily Hee!!! I agree 100%! I'd rather see him happy and well-fed that all buff... not that I mind the buff look... ;D

eliza bennet said...

But I didn't think of you forwarding the story! Actually you have a point but it never occured to me since I have a feeling that crazy fanatic minded people do not read this blog :)

jocelyn said...

I'm glad Shahid's ditching the six-pack. It's not like he didn't look good without it. ;-)

As far as the Priyadarshan story goes... I don't know if I'd call it stating facts. It's more that it's true for him (and for Filmi Girl?) that there's no point to doing films other than the kind he does. Maybe no point for him, but there are plenty of reasons to make small niche movies with big stars. For one, all forms of art and artistic expression are of value, even if it's to just a few people. For another, stretching themselves in unusual storylines and roles is good for actors, and will help their craft regardless of whether or not they stick to indie fare or return to mass entertainers. And for another, a small movie can generate buzz and viewers through a big name sometimes. Basically I don't think there's any point to dissing the art market just because the critics love it. There's worth in both genres and neither profits by putting the other down; those who do just look insecure.

shell said...

Notice how it's not 'tomorrow, when I'm 40, I'll continue to play roles appropriate for a 26-year old.
I did notice that. I'm sure when Ranbir is 40 (if he's still being offered roles that is), he will follow in the same footsteps as those so-called ridiculous uncles.

Good for Hard Kaur. I hope she's successful!

Filmi Girl said...

Dang, guys! Good points - Jocelyn and Shell! I need you guys to keep me in line... ;D

@jocelyn I wasn't ragging on indie films - No Smoking is one of my favorites :) - but I do get tired of the critics constantly holding a film only meant to appeal to a small number of people as something all filmmakers should be doing. :)

But, point taken... *slaps own hand for snarking*

@shell Hee! I hope you aren't right but you have to admit that it's wearisome to see 40 year olds playing roles that should be going to the younger generation of actors... :)

ajnabi said...

No keeping in line intended--I really was directing my comments toward Priyadarshan more than my favorite Filmi Gossip Maven. ;-) And your comment on No Smoking reminded me (because I loved your review on it) will you eventually move all your reviews over? I keep on watching films, wondering what you thought, and then getting stymied by livejournal. :-)

Filmi Girl said...

@ajnabi Sorry!! YES! I keep meaning to transfer them but I don't want to overload anyone's RSS reader or anything... maybe I'll try doing one a day or something.

I also need to make an index page...

rhilex said...

That girl is severely mentally ill, clearly. I also think the article should not have been publicized, for reasons already stated. I obviously don't know what Akshay did in his response, but I hope he kept his foot down and wasn't a softie... The way I see it, some other mad girls are going to think this girl came out of the situation as a winner. Writing to Akshay once a month! Wow! =|

And YAY for Shahid! I personally hate that buffed up look on him. I just hope he takes things slow-- all that gaining and losing can't be good for his body! =(

Information Junkie said...

I think people reading these postings will know who Lata Mangeshkar is. They probably wouldn't know of her feud with Rafi. Once for the Guinness book of records and once for the Royalty agreements. Lata gets royalty to all her songs, while Rafi and his descendants don't. She was shrewd and talented.

Filmi Girl said...

@information junkie I think you misunderstood my sarcasm. :) I have no doubt that people reading know who Lata Mangeshkar is. I was being snarky towards a white author living in New Delhi named Jason Overdorf who thinks that Bollywood music is tacky and outdated.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl