Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sunday Morning Gossip!

Good morning, all!!!

I can't believe it's almost 2010! I remember 1999 - I was working as a waitress on the graveyard shift at a diner, which is 10pm to 6am - and trying to work up the nerve to re-apply to college. Good times... I think I made $30 on New Year's Eve because the county cops were out in force and nobody wanted to chance driving out to the diner to eat after their parties.

I was mad!

Also, I went to see Sherlock Holmes last night and loved it! It definitely had some Bollywood-ish tones to it - the dostana between Holmes and Watson and the copious and cartoonish dishoom-dishoom, plus a general OTT feel in general. I recommend it if you like action/comedy/bromances set in Victorian England.

Anyways, let's see what's happening in Tinsel Town!

* I don't always agree with Rajeev Masand but I enjoyed his review of 3 Idiots. For whatever reason, like Love Aaj Kal, 3 Idiots is totally rubbing me the wrong way - from the promotions to the glowing reviews, I'm just really annoyed at it and probably won't see it.

We all have different tastes and I think films like this are my Bollywood equivalent of American Beauty - critically acclaimed and popularly loved but just not my cup of masala chai.

Anyway, here's a taste of Rajeev's review:

Rancho [Aamir Khan], as it turns out, can do just about anything. From empowering Farhan to convince his family he wants to be a photographer not an engineer, to nursing another friend back to health after a failed suicide attempt, Rancho even helps an unsuspecting girl open her eyes to the superficial jerk she's about to marry, and believe it or not, at one point he even delivers a baby on the college ping-pong table following instructions from a doctor on webcam.

* The Times of India cheers me up with the Avoidables of the 2000s to include:

Himesh Reshammiya | His fetish for ill-matched baseball caps was worse than his nasal twang. Faux and repetitive electronic beats coupled with inane lyrics (fulltoo attitude/de de tu zara), insistence on singing all the songs he composed and a movie that lined up auto rickshaws in Germany as an ode to his largest fan base, Himesh you owe us a huge karzzz.

They also have their 20 Best Films of the Decade! Do you agree?

I would have included Dhoom 2 rather than Dhoom but it's a pretty good list.

* Salman Khan is launching a contest to find India's Unsung Heroes!

Remember his turn in Heroes?! As much as I tease Salman Khan, I really do like him when he does stuff like this. I really hope Veer is a big success.

(And BTW Kat is absent from the birthday dinner. And no word on Ranbir's whereabouts these days although he should be joining Priyanka in NYC fairly soon.)

NDTV has 44 Salman Khan pictures for each of his 44 years!!

I like this one.

* The Miami Herald has an interesting interview with Hanif Hamgam, an Afghan comedian who you might remember from the John Abraham-Arshad Warsi starrer Kabul Express.

* Shahrukh Khan doth protest too much - rumor has it he turned down a role in Dostana 2 because he doesn't want to tarnish his manly image.


Bebo is on the cover of Zee magazine, looking gorgeous!


And Imran Khan is on Filmfare!

4 comments:

shell said...

Thanks for the article links of worst of the 2000's and best films. Interesting read, the first one. I've yet to see all the movies on the best list, but agree with most of the ones I have seen.

I really want to see Sherlock Holmes (could be that soft spot for ruggedly handsome English men though - faux or not!).

Sujal said...

That list... Om Shanti Om? Devdas? No Entry. God help us all. Also, I didn't think Lage Raho Munnabhai was that good.

I personally preferred Dhoom to Dhoom 2, but that might just be me.

Oh, and boo on 3I. I understand the worry over glowing reviews (I have the same problem given how often I agree with reviewers), but still... 3I is one that I'm going to watch. Can't say no to Aamir Khan.

jholomorphic said...

They actually frame it as a list of influential and notable films rather than the best ones ("20 that best capture the changing times"), and it's pretty reasonable as that; I got confused at first when it said mainly negative things about some of the ones it included. Such as OSO--what strange things to say about a masterwork. And by these criteria, I'd have put both Dhoom films on the list.

Also, heh: "What does it take to remember that even Chinese food tastes good only when it has Indian spices?"

Simran said...

Lage Raho Munna Bhai? Another movie I was really disappointed with. The first one was so much better. Thanks for the lists! Love Sallu's pictures. :D

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl