I can't believe it's almost 2010! I remember 1999 - I was working as a waitress on the graveyard shift at a diner, which is 10pm to 6am - and trying to work up the nerve to re-apply to college. Good times... I think I made $30 on New Year's Eve because the county cops were out in force and nobody wanted to chance driving out to the diner to eat after their parties.
I was mad!
Also, I went to see Sherlock Holmes last night and loved it! It definitely had some Bollywood-ish tones to it - the dostana between Holmes and Watson and the copious and cartoonish dishoom-dishoom, plus a general OTT feel in general. I recommend it if you like action/comedy/bromances set in Victorian England.
Anyways, let's see what's happening in Tinsel Town!
* I don't always agree with Rajeev Masand but I enjoyed his review of 3 Idiots. For whatever reason, like Love Aaj Kal, 3 Idiots is totally rubbing me the wrong way - from the promotions to the glowing reviews, I'm just really annoyed at it and probably won't see it.
We all have different tastes and I think films like this are my Bollywood equivalent of American Beauty - critically acclaimed and popularly loved but just not my cup of masala chai.
Anyway, here's a taste of Rajeev's review:
Rancho [Aamir Khan], as it turns out, can do just about anything. From empowering Farhan to convince his family he wants to be a photographer not an engineer, to nursing another friend back to health after a failed suicide attempt, Rancho even helps an unsuspecting girl open her eyes to the superficial jerk she's about to marry, and believe it or not, at one point he even delivers a baby on the college ping-pong table following instructions from a doctor on webcam.
* The Times of India cheers me up with the Avoidables of the 2000s to include:
Himesh Reshammiya | His fetish for ill-matched baseball caps was worse than his nasal twang. Faux and repetitive electronic beats coupled with inane lyrics (fulltoo attitude/de de tu zara), insistence on singing all the songs he composed and a movie that lined up auto rickshaws in Germany as an ode to his largest fan base, Himesh you owe us a huge karzzz.
They also have their 20 Best Films of the Decade! Do you agree?
I would have included Dhoom 2 rather than Dhoom but it's a pretty good list.
* Salman Khan is launching a contest to find India's Unsung Heroes!
Remember his turn in Heroes?! As much as I tease Salman Khan, I really do like him when he does stuff like this. I really hope Veer is a big success.
(And BTW Kat is absent from the birthday dinner. And no word on Ranbir's whereabouts these days although he should be joining Priyanka in NYC fairly soon.)
NDTV has 44 Salman Khan pictures for each of his 44 years!!
I like this one.
* The Miami Herald has an interesting interview with Hanif Hamgam, an Afghan comedian who you might remember from the John Abraham-Arshad Warsi starrer Kabul Express.
* Shahrukh Khan doth protest too much - rumor has it he turned down a role in Dostana 2 because he doesn't want to tarnish his manly image.
Bebo is on the cover of Zee magazine, looking gorgeous!
And Imran Khan is on Filmfare!