Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sunday Gossip!

Ooookay! Sunday morning!

* NDTV has the 50 Sexiest Asian women, as compiled by Eastern Eye!

My girl Hard Kaur is #50 - and my other girl Katrina Kaif is #1. Ayesha Takia makes the list, as do such non-actors/models as Miss Pooja and Sania Mirza. However, I have a very serious problem with any list of the sexiest Asian women that ranks boring Freida Pinto as #3 but DOESN'T INCLUDE NAMITHA!

Epic Fail, Eastern Eye - EPIC. FAIL.

I mean, have you even SEEN Namitha?! The woman is sexy personified.

* On a more enjoyable note, please to be reading this editorial by director Mahesh Nair.

She looks awesome/I have a six pack.

Always remember: when an actor’s look and the film’s style or sets are being talked about (except when it is a period film), it almost always means that there is no story. Be it Big B’s Johnny Depp-inspired look in Jhoom Barabar Jhoom, Akshay Kumar’s tattoo in Blue, Kareena’s size-zero figure in Tashan or the style of any Sanjay Gupta film. Such marketing ploys hide one fact—the story sucks. That’s why most of these big films give more billing to the costume designer, stylist or physical trainer than the writer. Just like you have vanity vans, these are vanity films, made primarily to make the actor look good and keep him happy.

* New Moon trumps Rocket Singh at the Indian Box Office. I probably shouldn't be gleeful about that - but I am. I really, really want my Twilight-inspired Bollywood film. I know somebody is working on it right now.

* Director Kabir Khan has a thoughtful essay on the history of Muslim characters in Bollywood. He delicately ignores Kurbaan. Kudos to him for being polite. I was not. That film was packed full of ignorant Muslim stereotypes.

In Hindi cinema, films that deal with issues revolving around Muslim characters, especially extremist Muslims, always resort to these clichés—like showing people who speak chaste Urdu with a deadpan expression. I was very clear that I did not want any of these clichés in New York and wanted to show Samir as a regular-looking guy who does not wear his religion on his sleeve. This meant going completely against the usual visual portrayals of the Muslim identity that have been depicted in mainstream Hindi films in the past 50-60 years.

* Poor Sandalwood actress Aindrita Ray was slapped by director Nagathilhalli on the sets of Nooru Janmaku. She also claims he was making advances towards her. This boils my blood to rage levels. Actresses are professionals! Not prostitutes! It's the 21st century for goodness' sake!

* Finally, there are rumors that Shahrukh, Hrithik and their production companies may join forces for a new film!

And a tip of the hat to Anita for bring this to my attention:



2 comments:

ghazalintokyo said...

there's an SRK movie coming out before my name is khan!? and it's with sushmita?! omg i'm so excited!!! i love those two!(i'm going to pretend fardeen khan wasn't in that trailer)
thanks for the kabir khan article, it was brilliant

lots of love from tokyo.. what movie did you say they're planning on filming here again? i think ima go into stalker mode when that happens haha

Filmi Girl said...

@ghazalintokyo Oooo! I forget off the top of my head... hold on...

Right - it looks like the new Murugadoss Hindi remake of "Kick" starring Salman Khan might be filming Tokyo de. Sugoii, ne?!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl