Sunday, December 27, 2009

My favorite song picturizations of the 2000s!

Because we all need another list from the 2000s!

These are not necessarily the "best" songs of the 2000s but are the ones I enjoy the most and find myself re-watching on youtube all the time! And forgive me if I skip over the obvious and usual (and wonderful) suspects like "Dola Re Dola" - we all know those are good.

(In no particular order...)

#10 "Rehja Rehja Re" from Golmaal: Fun Unlimited (2006)


Why? First of all the set-up for this song involves Rimi Sen having a dance contest but the guys all want to date her so they decide to sabotage things but then feel guilty so they crank up their own tunes - at least as far as I remember. It's a combination of hilarious dance moves - the "Ajay Shuffle" - a good song. Plus, I love when Arshad leapfrogs over Tusshar in the beginning. Classic!

#9 "Yeh Ishq Hai" from Jab We Met (2007)


Why? Kareena Kapoor has never been so adorable. I love the mixture of the dancey beats with the Tour of India ethnic costumes and Bebo's grin sells the whole thing!

#8 "Dil Dooba" from Khakee (2004)


Why? If you have to ask me this, clearly we will never agree on anything. The set-up is that the song is supposed to be an exaggerated version of a Bollywood and Ganesh Acharya, the choreographer (who is one of my favorites, BTW), creates a magical semi-reality that manages to be both ridiculous and sublime all at the same time. Aish and Akki are winning and the pirate back-up dancers still crack me up... 5 years later.

#7 "Naach Meri Jaan" from Mujhe Meri Biwi Se Bachaao (2001)


Why? I just realized this list might be heavy on Arshad Warsi because I still think he is one of the best dancers in Bollywood today. Even at forty-*mumble*. I know I've pimped this song about before but it deserves all the mentions it can get: this picturization has it all - Arshad manhandling Rekha; Rekha being a diva; OTT costumes; and a catchy song. I actually tried to watch this movie because of this song but couldn't actually make my way far enough into the film to see it. It is a youtube classic!

#6 "Soni De Nakhre" from Partner (2007)


Why? Salman demonstrating the "Ajay Shuffle"? Govinda tearing it up on the dance floor? Katrina Kaif looking radiant and barely able to keep up with the desi dancers? All of those things are in this song. Everyone looks like they are having the time of their lives. Plus, when I saw this in the theatre, I was laughing so hard - I literally had tears coming out of my eyes.

#5 "Woh Ladki Hai Kahaan" from Dil Chahta Hai (2001)


Why? Because there are no dolphins? I kid! Saif Ali Khan shows us how to pose through a song while making it look like you are possessed of some sort of dancing talent. He also demonstrates the Kapoor school of driving and the 90s side-by-side duet dance style. Saif is basically charming as all get out and wins this song.

#4 "Loot Liya" from Sunday (2008)


Why? I might be one of the few people who not only enjoyed Sunday but preferred it to the Telugu original. This song is another Ganesh Acharya number and I love how clever the staging is. There are a lot of nice extended shots that must have taken considerable time and effort to get right - the dancers had to be on their game. Plus, how often do you see Irrfan Khan dancing? And ARSHAD kicks it! Woo!

#3 "Milo Na Milo" from Love Story 2050 (2008)


Why? "What? The party's over?" This party will never be over. From the hilarious expressions on the guests' faces at the beginning - as if they can't believe Harman is about to break it down right in front of them - to the Harman's overwrought dance moves, "Milo Na Milo" is one for the ages. Dancing robots and dubious use of special effects seal the deal.

#2 "Dil Dance Maare" from Tashan (2008)


Why? You didn't really think I was going to let you escape without something from Tashan? This song has it all - Akshay being studly, Bebo being a diva, Saif being ridiculous... plus hilarious white dancers and a catchy song with Udit and Sukhwinder!

(And Akki can thrust that pelvis my way anytime... Yum!!!)

#1 "Tumse Milke Dil Ko Jo Haal" from Main Hoon Na (2004)


Why? Okay, I know I said no obvious ones but I love this song so much!!! There is nothing more to be said.

6 comments:

martoufmarty said...

I downloaded the song 'Milo Na Milo'. I don't actually listen it aside from the 'What? The party's over?' line.

It's hilarious fun.

Simran said...

OMG! Harman is such an amazing dancer!! :O I actually never got to watch this movie. My mom wouldn't buy it for me, lol. I watched the video a couple of times because I can't get over his moves! I have a very strong liking toward heroes that can dance. That's one of the reasons why I don't like Saifu all that much, lol.

Great list by the way!

Rum said...

Lol i just watched love story 2050! EEEEKKK but also yaay because its just sooo awful that its good. Love that What? The party's over! I usually and cheezily say that at the beginning of a party and receive withering looks from my friends that i tortured to watch this with me!

martoufmarty said...

Oh, and 'Tumse Milke Dil Ko Jo Haal' is so great. I've been listening to it a lot lately and can now (sadly?) lip sync along with it.

Tady Rox! said...

OMFG!!!!!!! YES!!! Ur #1 and #2 are the best!!! Dil Dance Maare is the best song in Tashan!!!!

Ami said...

Kareena smiled a little bit too much in JWM..IMO.

Soni de Nakhre is one of the songs in my treadmill track. Love that song so much. And Partner made me laugh so much I nearly fell off my chair so many times. Love Govinda in it. I watched Hitch too but I still think the Bollywood version is better coz it's much more hilarious.

#1 song is one of my fave video coz of the doves..OMG! I keep going wtf? wtf? all thru the movie everytime one (or a bunch) of them fly across the frame. Main Hoon Na will always be "that one with so many doves in it" movie for me. And there was this one scene with someone throwing some gold-folded thingy that opens up looking like a kite in SRK's hands with him looking at his chorus mates with a wtf?? look on his face LOL. Replayed it so many times just to figure out what it is, but I can't still make it out. Do you know?

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl