Friday, December 18, 2009

Brief Update... I'm in Newsweek!!!

Well, my curmudgeonly letter to the editor is, anyways...

'Bollywood Gets Real'
I was extremely disappointed in the tone taken toward the popular Hindi film industry by Jason Overdorf. Specifically, it seems as if he did no research on the topic. He made generalization after generalization--all of them wrong. He claims that modern fare like Kaminey has beaten more conventional films at the box office, but as examples of conventional Bollywood he cites two films that were publicized in India as being like Hollywood movies: Chandi Chowk to China and Drona. Conventional fare, like the box-office smashes Ghajini and Wanted, continue to trump the indie films like Kaminey. Overdorf ignores the long history of unconventional and more realistic Bollywood films, and he confuses "accessible to Western audiences" with "good."

Well, I think I made my point.

*pats self on back for a job well done*

4 comments:

Tady Rox! said...

Fantastic!!!! Now more people are aware of just how wrong/irresponsible this writer was with the assumptions he made in his article...

myrna-nora said...

Yay Filmi Girl! You tell it like it is. Hopefully someone will do their research next time.

daydreaminglotus said...

Awesome FG! Way to speak your mind and echo ours! Thanks for sharing!

Michael Barnum said...

Shabaaz, Filmi Girl! I am so glad you wrote them!!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl