Monday, December 21, 2009

Bollywood/Hollywood Ideal Music Cross-Overs!

There have been quite a few articles this last year about Hollywood trying to catch a piece of the Bollywood market but very few of them touch on the music angle. With Kylie doing a successful item number in Blue, it seems to me like the American and British music industries should be banging on every door in Masala Pradesh to try and get some cross-promotions going on... I think the ignorance of the popular music scene remains one of the biggest misconceptions of Bollywood in the American entertainment industry.

So, in no particular order, here are some non-desi artists that I think would be prime candidates for a Bollywood item song! (It goes without saying that Shakira, Britney, Xtina, Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, etc. would all be perfect.)

Amerie


Why? (Washington, DC represent!!) Amerie has a good voice, can dance, and, most importantly, her songs have great beats. I think Bollywood would love DC-style go go...

The-Dream


Why? Watch this video and tell me that you don't think The-Dream's aesthetic values don't line up exactly with the popular songs coming out of Mumbai... Pair him up with Hard Kaur and Pritam and you will have best OST of 2010.

Adam Lambert


Why? For my own selfish reasons - I really want to see what Farah Khan and Shahrukh could do with Adam. (He'll be dressed by Manish Malhotra, of course.)

Andre 3000


Why? C'mon! If he can make John Legend dancable, imagine how awesome he'd be in doing an item song. Plus, he always makes the coolest music videos and I think he would probably actually do a song in a Bollywood film.

山下智久 (aka Yamapi)


Why? Yamapi is not only one of the only male Japanese pop idols that I actually believe is 100% straight, the guy has charisma. He always looks cool, even the worst outfits and hairdos (mostly don'ts) that stylists put him into! I would watch Yamapi read a phone book with that trademarked surly attitude of his! (Don't forget that the Kick remake will be filming in Tokyo... *uses mental powers to force Salman Khan to hire Yamapi for a club number*)

黒木メイサ (Kuroki Meisa)


Why? Maybe male Japanese pop idols aren't your thing... Meisa is also an acceptable hire for the Kick-remake club scene 東京で. She's totally hot and can dance AND pose well!

Annie


Why? She's freaking adorable, okay! And Norwegian!

And then my bonus pick for the band that I want to act as music directors for my English-language film made in a Bollywood-style: Belle and Sebastian

(The song starts about a minute in...)


1 comment:

Tady Rox! said...

GAAAWD!!! I've always had this secret fantasy of John Legend singing to me...how i wish i could see him live!!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl