Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2000s: A Decade in Review - 2007

Oh, what a year was 2007! I will always remember it fondly as the year I finally lived close enough to a movie theatre that screened Bollywood films that enabled me to be able to go on a regular basis.

Also, this is officially the year that Akshay Kumar stole everyone's hearts with a ridiculous FOUR mega-hits.

THE FILMS

Here are the top grossing films of 2007:

#1
Om Shanti Om


#2
Welcome


#3
Chak De India


#4 Partner


#5
Taare Zameen Par


Other notable films:

The Akshay Kumar No. 1 Ladies Fan Club supported his hits (all of which made the top 10):
Welcome, Bhool Bhuliya, Heyy Babyy, and Namastey London.

For critically acclaimed films, 2007 saw
Guru, The Blue Umbrella, Manorama Six Feet Under, Cheeni Kum, Eklavya, Johnny Gaddar, and Life in a Metro.

Flops that found cult status include
Salaam-e-Ishq, Aaja Nachle, No Smoking, and Jhoom Barabar Jhoom.

And major flops that became cultural touchstones:
Saawariya and Ram Gopal Varma ki Aag.*

*I remember hearing Amitabh talking about this on Love Bollywood. I don't think anyone realized how big a flop this was going to be.

THE ACTORS AND ACTRESSES

The hit jodi of the last few years had its debut in
Namastey London: Akki & Kat!

Shahrukh was King of the World in
Om Shanti Om.

Madhuri Dixit's comeback was hyped and then fizzled.

Rani began her downward slide with two major bombs:
Tara Rum Pum and Lagaa Chunari Mein Daag.

Ranbir Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor debuted and charmed our pants off in
Saawariya.

Kareena and Shahid had a major hit with
Jab We Met and then broke up.

THE FILMFARE AWARDS (awarded 2008)

Best film:
Taare Zameen Par
Best director: Aamir Khan for
Taare Zameen Par
Best actor: Shahrukh Khan for
Chak De! India
Best actress: Kareena Kapoor for
Jab We Met
Best supporting actor: Irrfan Khan for
Life in a... Metro
Best supporting actress: Konkona Sen Sharma for
Life in a... Metro
Best male debut: Ranbir Kapoor for
Saawariya*
Best female debut: Deepika Padukone for
Om Shanti Om

Best music director: A.R. Rahman for
Guru
Best lyricist: Prasoon Joshi for "Maa" from
Taare Zameen Par
Best male playback: Shaan for "Jab Se Tere Naina" from
Saawariya**
Best female playback: Shreya Ghoshal for "Barso Re" from
Guru***

And Filmi Girl's honorary categories, as voted by me, for the awards that Filmfare is now too cool to hand out!

Filmi Girl's Best Villain: Arjun Rampal in
Om Shanti Om
Filmi Girl's Best Comedian: Ranvir Shorey in
Bheja Fry

*And what a debut! "Jab Se Tere Nainaaa..."
**I love Shaan (and this song!)
***This song was the best part of the film.

MEMORABLE SCENES AND SONGS


Mallika Sherawat showing off her comic chops in Welcome! With bonus hilarity from Anil Kapoor and Nana Patekar.


Vidya Balan in Bhool Bhuliya... you might not want to watch this one if you haven't seen the film.


Hero No. 1 of the year... AKSHAY KUMAR smoldering up a storm in Namastey London.


Salman Khan and Priyanka Chopra being adorable in Salaam-e-Ishq.


Ranbir Kapoor making his grand entrance in Saawariya.


The trailer for RGV ki Aag.


The hot couple for one film only... Shahid and Bebo.


And Madhuri's short lived comeback....



5 comments:

rhilex said...

Loving your choice of best villain!

And *siiiiiigh* Ranbir! <333 Him and it's prettiness are the only things that could tempt me to watch Sawaariya again. :p

shell said...

I think this is why this decade was successful at wooing and charming the pants off of me! So many great movies. Of course, OSO is one of my favorite current movies (I'd put it in my top 3), and TZP (my first Aamir film). I think, for once, I've seen most of these. I love Bollywood!

dayshaze said...

Filmi Girl - LOVE the blog! (I got your link from a post I created on ONTD about... well... I don't know, I've posted a lot about Bollywood lately...)

One question about Om Shanti Om, in "Deewangi Deewangi," who is fourth guy in big Salman/Shahrukh/Saif Ali Khan scene? I don't recognize him at all. Is he a big deal? He kind of looks like Salman, but I can't place him. Thanks!

Filmi Girl said...

@rhilex Hee hee! It was an easy choice!

@shell OSO is such a touchstone! It has to go on any best of 2000s list... :)

@dayshaze WELCOME! I post Bolly stuff to ONTD from time to time, too. :D I couldn't resist the comment thread of attractive guys on your post and had to share... ;P

That fourth guy is Sanjay Dutt and he was a big hero from the 1980s through the early 2000s. He still makes movies but not as many these days. His last big hits were the "Munnabhai" films which you should check out if you get a chance. They are hilarious! :)

myrna-nora said...

I'll always remember 2007 as the year I saw a Bollywood movie in the theater. It was Om Shanti Om. Thanks for the list!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl