Monday, December 28, 2009

2000s: A Decade in Review - 2006

This was arguably the best year of the 2000s as far as artistic and commercial success went! And Hrithik Roshan is back on top after a little break! There are so many good films from this year that I can't even mention them all - take and look and see how many of your favorites are from 2006!

THE FILMS

Here are the top grossing films of 2006!

#1 Dhoom 2


#2 Krrish


#3 Lage Raho Munnabhai


#4 Fanaa


#5 Don: The Chase Begins - Again


Other notable films:

It wasn't all popular films in 2006, although there were some good ones, critical successes include Rang De Basanti, Omkara, Gangster, Khosla ka Ghosla, Corporate, Dor, Kabul Express, and Being Cyrus

And along with the huge number of critical successes, 2006 was also a good year for comedy with Bhagam Bhag, Phir Hera Pheri, and Golmaal: Fun Unlimited.

Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna also came out this year.

And in the awful re-make pile is Fight Club and Zinda (remake of Old Boy).

In the awful flop pile are Umrao Jaan and the Urmila pulling an Aamir in 3 Idiots film - Benares.

THE ACTORS AND ACTRESSES

Hrithik may have topped the box office but Aamir and SRK weren't too far behind.

Saif Ali Khan had a banner year artistically.

Bebo and Shahid had a two-fer with Chup Chup Ke and 36 China Town.

Ayesha Takia won our hearts in Dor.

Kajol makes a comeback in Fanaa and Hrithik in Dhoom 2/Krrish!

THE FILMFARE AWARDS (awarded 2007)

Best film: Rang De Basanti
Best director: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra for Rang De Basanti
Best actor: Hrithik Roshan for Dhoom 2*
Best actress: Kajol for Fanaa
Best supporting actor: Abhishek Bachchan for KANK**
Best supporting actress: Konkona Sen Sharma for Omkara
Best villain: Saif Ali Khan for Omkara***
Best comedian: Arshad Warsi for Lage Raho Munnabhai****
Best male debut: NOT AWARDED
Best female debut: Kangana Ranaut for Gangster

Best music director: A.R. Rahman for Rang De Basanti
Best lyricist: Prasoon Joshi for "Chand Sifarish" from Fanaa
Best male playback: Shaan/Kailash Kher for "Chand Sifarish" from Fanaa
Best female playback: Sunidhi Chauhan for "Beedi Jalaile" from Omkara

* Note: EEEEEEEEEE!
** Third win in a row for the Junior B!
*** This is the last year for the "Best Villain" award.
**** This is also the last year for the "Best Comedian" award.

MEMORABLE SCENES AND SONGS


Aishwarya Rai vamping it up in Dhoom 2 - one of the handful of great 2000s masala films.


Ayesha Takia is adorable in Dor.


Shahrukh Khan could have been a contender... for Best Villain!


I have an irrational love for this song from KANK...


Kailash Kher had a cameo in Corporate!


The year's best villain... SAIF ALI KHAN!


Aamir smoldered like nobody's business in Fanaa!


Best comedian - and most underrated in Bollywood - Arshad Warsi in Lage Raho Munnabhai!


Umrao Jaan was a terrible film but this song is iconic for Aishwarya...

8 comments:

layla-aaron said...

I have to say that I totally loved watching Saif as the villain in Omkara. And I have to completely agree with Aamir and his smoldering in Fanaa. *g*

shell said...

Another great contemporary year in my books. Love so many of these films it's hard to decide which ones are my favs. Really must put on Omkara soon.

aham said...

u have mentioned RDB in passing, didnt u like it? acc to me its on of the most thought provoking bollywood films till date, left me in shock and awe for several days, it should be on top of every list even if its top 10 of the decade.

anyways saw Maleyali jotheyali last weekend, liked it, but reminded more of Mungaru Male(in terms of story), the storywriter of MM and the director of MJ is the same, he is same director of Haage Summane(the one that u have).overall a good movie, Golden Star is gr8 as usual.

Louella said...

Fanaa? I found this movie awful, despite the fact that "Kashmir" scenes was shooted in my country.

Dhoom:2 was also not that good, 1st movie was far better. Unlike Lage Raho Munna Bhai, which I adore much more than MBBS.

Omkara was quite dissapointing for me too, same as Krrish and RDB.

Yay, maybe you're not that into Tollywood so far but it was a good year there also: Bommarillu and Pokiri was released! 1st is a hearts-ruler and second? Only Magadheera this year could beat it's boxoffice record in being the higgest telugu grosser ever. Also in this year happend release of Annavaram, one of the best Pawan Kalyan's movies and Ashok, awesome, tottaly brilliant movie with NTR Jr, Sameera Reddy, Prakash Raj and Sonu Sodd (as a 110% bad villain which wore converse xD). Argh, how could I forget about Style? Directed by a choreographer, it's for me one of the best movies about dance.
And the fabulous Rakhi title song took Mamta Mohandas into limelight.

Also in Kreala there were some remindable things like super sucess of Classmate and Prithiraj thanks to it he became a star.

In Tamil, Veyil, Sillinu Oru Kadhal, Chithiram Pesuthadi, Pattiyal, Varalaaru have been released and acclaimed. SOK have awesome OST by Rahman, for me it's one of his best.

Simran said...

I absolutely ADORED every movie that came out in '06. Omkara, Gangster, Rang De Basanti, Don were just a few of my favourites! Althought I have to admit, Krrish really had me unimpressed. I really didn't enjoy it and I usually get stared down for saying that, lol.

eliza bennet said...

I too liked Dhoom a lot better than Dhoom 2 but am in minority as far as LRMB is concerned I liked MBBS a lot better (the story appealed to me more).

Krrish is also a sequel which is weaker in comparison to KMG.

KANK is my favorite of that year, followed closely by RDB and Fanaa.

Didn't like Don remake but I sure appreciated the fact that it didn't suck.

Umrao Jaan is yet another film I have watched due to Abhi and even though it was not a good film, I remember Aishwarya's dances very fondly. Especially Salaam and the last dance with the blue costume.

Ameya said...

I've actually seen most of these movies!! Yay! I do love 2005, too, though. Probably because of all the Rani ^_^

lvrplfc4l said...

I loved Rang De Basanti, Omkara and Fanna but for me Dor was the best movie of 06. I liked Saif in Omkara but loved his performance in Being Cyrus.
I liked LRMB and Khosla ka Ghosla but rolled with laughter at Malaamal Weekly.
One movie I loved but have not seen mentioned yet is Woh Lamhe.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl