Tuesday, December 15, 2009

2000s: A Decade in Review - 2004

Another great year for films! For the entire first half of the 2000s, the top honors in Bollywood have rotated between Hrithik and SRK... the tide flips back to SRK in 2004.

THE FILMS

Here are the top grossing films of 2004:

#1 Veer Zaara


#2 Main Hoon Na


#3 Mujhse Shaadi Karoge


#4 Dhoom


#5 Khakee


Other notable films:

Hum Tum ushered in the modern rom-com.

And it was a nice year for artsy films with Chameli as a critical hit for Kareena Kapoor; Maqbool sparked up Vishal Bhardwaj's career; Mani Ratnam's Yuva came out this year, as did Swades; Tabu and Kunal Kapoor in Meenaxi: A Tale of 3 Cities; Aishwarya Rai in Raincoat; and Shahrukh Khan in Swades.

ACTORS AND ACTRESSES

Aishwarya Rai goes Hollywood in
Bride and Prejudice.

Abhsihek Bachchan kickstarts his career with
Dhoom - which leads to a string of popular hits.

Lovely Ayesha Takia debuts in
Taarzan: The Wonder Car.

Shahrukh went around the world with his
Temptations tour.

Vivek Oberoi enters a dry-spell following his "press conference" in 2003.

Sushmita Sen has the biggest hit of her career with
Main Hoon Na.

Kunal Kapoor debuts in
Meenaxi: A Tale of 3 Cities.

Emraan Hashmi had his first hit with
Murder.

Superstar Hrithik goes into hiatus.

Salman reinvents himself as a comedian with
Mujshe Shaadi Karoge.

Rani Mukerji enters some of the best years of her career.

FILMFARE AWARDS (Awarded 2005)

Best film:
Veer-Zaara
Best director: Kunal Kholi for
Hum Tum*
Best actor: Shahrukh Khan for
Swades
Best actress: Rani Mukerji for
Hum Tum
Best supporting actor: Abhishek Bachchan for
Yuva**
Best supporting actress: Rani Mukerji for
Yuva
Best villain: Priyanka Chopra for
Aitraaz
Best comedian: Saif Ali Khan for
Hum Tum***
Best male debut: NOT AWARDED****
Best female debut: Ayesha Takia for
Taarzan: The Wonder Car

Best music director: Anu Malik for
Main Hoon Na
Best lyricist: Javed Akhtar for "Tere Liye" from
Veer-Zaara
Best male playback: Kunal Ganjawala for "Bheegey Hont Tere" from
Murder
Best female playback: Alka Yagnik for "Saanso Ko Saanso Mein" from
Hum Tum

*I remember being supremely unimpressed with
Hum Tum; it was cute but not as mind-blowingly good as I'd been led to believe.
**Sorry, Abhi, Akki deserved this one for
Khakee.
*** Again, Saifu? He's not really what I would consider a comedian in
Hum Tum or Dil Chahta Hai. This feels like the Best Actor Consolation Prize for him. This should have gone either to Akshay for MSK or Paresh Rawal or something.
**** No love for Kunal or Emraan, apparently.

MEMORABLE SONGS AND SCENES


Amrita Rao's entrance in Main Hoon Na!


Rani, Saif, and Saif's "Tom Cruise Look" in Hum Tum!


Tabu and Irrfan Khan in Maqbool!


Akshay Kumar's entrance in Mujshe Shaadi Karogi!


Bebo in Chameli!


Rani Mukerji at the Filmfare Awards!!


One of my favorite songs and song picturizations - "Dil Dooba" from Khakee!


And a motorbike race from Dhoom!

6 comments:

Anita said...

Lmao! The fact that no Best Male Debut was awarded has me laughing so hard. Pretty cruel, considering that even Esha Deol got one for her horrendous debut.

2004 was the YEAR, man. So many good movies, an amazing Temptations concert and just so much potential for the years to come. :) Classic!

eliza bennet said...

I actually like every film in this list with Veer-Zaara being the fave among them.

I too am not very impressed with Hum Tum. It is still a wonder to me how well liked this film is.

And Khakee is the film that started my AB love -
and sorry yaar but I think Abhi totally owned that award. Akki was good in Khakhee but the first time I saw that film I only remembered AB, Aishwarya and Ajay.

And I wish that Aish and Akki would star in a film together since I think Akki and Ajay are two of the three actors Aish actually has on screen chemistry with imho.

aham said...

@eliza Aish and Akki are doing a movie together called 'Action Replay' which is set to release next year,its directed by Vipul Shah.
check this link
http://movies.ndtv.com/gallerydetails.aspx?category=Movies&id=3985&picno=2&section=Bollywood&ShowID=0#BD

shell said...

YAY!!! What a great year! Finally vidication for my man Shah Rukh! There's still a few movies I haven't seen, but for once I think I've seen the majority of them. I didn't mind Hum Tum probably because it was very clearly a rehash of When Harry Met Sally, which is one of my all-time fav Hollywood movies.

Wonder what 2005 will bring us...

Filmi Girl said...

@anita I know! Couldn't they have thrown Emraan Hashmi a bone?! Is he just not A-list enough?

@Eliza LOL! I just don't get the Abhi love... :) I think he's a lazy actor most of the time. Akki puts so much energy into everything!

@aham I can't wait for that one - although it's been delayed again. Boo!

@shell I know!! 2004 had some good films!

Aya said...

2004!!!! my favorite year!!!!! SO MANY GOOD FILMS!!!
my personal faves: HUM TUM, Yuva, MAIN HOON NA, mujhi shaadi karoge, chameli, and Veer Zaara. This was SHAH RUKH's YEAR haha

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl