Saturday, December 12, 2009

2000s: A Decade in Review - 2003

Jaaaaaaadooooooooo! Guess who topped the box office this year?! A little alien named Jadoo and his BFF Hrithik Roshan!

It was also a fairly prescient year for debuts with Shahid Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra, and John Abraham all having their first big films this year.

THE FILMS

Here are the top 5 grossing films of 2003:

#1
Koi... Mil Gaya!


#2
Kal Ho Naa Ho


#3
The Hero


#4
Baghban


#5
Munnabhai MBBS



Other notable films:

Chalte Chalte reunited Rani and Shahrukh and gave SRK's production company Dreamz Unlimited their first (and only) hit.

Thrillers dominated the box office with
LOC Kargil, The Hero, and Qayamat: City Under Threat all doing very well.

Honey Irani directed her first and only film
Armaan.

Rajkumar Hirani directed his first film
Munnabhai MBBS.

ACTORS AND ACTRESSES

Priyanka Chopra made her debut in
Andaaz opposite Akshay Kumar.

John Abraham debuts in
Jism opposite his soon-to-be girlfriend Bipasha Basu!

Katrina Kaif debuts in Boom.

Arshad Warsi's career is given a huge boost after his portrayl of Circuit in
Munnabhai MBBS is a hit!

Rekha plays an exorcist in Ram Gopal Varma's
Bhoot.

Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan made their second film together with
Kuch Na Kaho.

Salman Khan had a comeback with the well-received
Tere Naam.

Shahid Kapoor and Amrita Rao had their breakthroughs in
Ishq Vishk!

Gracy Singh looked like the next big thing!

Rimi Sen debuted this year with two films
Hungaama and Baghban.

Urmila was having a good year with two very unconventional films -
Bhoot and Ek Hasina Thi.

THE FILMFARE AWARDS (awarded in 2004)

Best film:
Koi... Mil Gaya!
Best director: Rakesh Roshan for
Koi... Mil Gaya!
Best actor: Hrithik Roshan for
Koi... Mil Gaya!*
Best actress: Preity Zinta for
Kal Ho Naa Ho
Best supporting actor: Saif Ali Khan for
Kal Ho Naa Ho**
Best supporting actress: Jaya Bachchan for
Kal Ho Naa Ho
Best villain: Irrfan Khan for
Haasil
Best comedian: Sanjay Dutt for
Munnabhai MBBS***
Best male debut: Shahid Kapoor for
Ishq Vishk
Best female debut: Priyanka Chopra and Lara Dutta for
Andaaz****

Best music director: Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy for
Kal Ho Naa Ho
Best lyricist: Javed Akhtar for "Kal Ho Naa Ho" from
Kal Ho Naa Ho
Best male playback: Sonu Nigam for "Kal Ho Naa Ho" from
Kal Ho Naa Ho
Best female playback: Shreya Ghoshal for "Jadoo Hai Nasha Hai" from
Jism

*and well deserved. Fantastic performance and a second win for Hrithik!
** or as NPR calls him [unintelligable] Khan.
*** an unusual win for an unusual film!
**** it's strange how sometimes the best debut goes on to do great things and sometimes the debut is all there is. This dual win epitomizes that split.

MEMORABLE SONGS AND SCENES


Akshay Kumar and Priyanka Chopra in Andaaz!


Hrithik Roshan performing at the Filmfare Awards in 2004!


Sanjay Dutt and Arshad Warsi game changing in Munnabhai MBBS!


John Abraham and Bipasha Basu in Jism - and the song that won Shreya Ghoshal her first solo Filmfare Award!


Kaaaaaaataben launched a thousand slashy fantasies about Shahrukh Khan and Saif Ali Khan (oh, sorry, NPR, I mean "unintelligible Khan").

9 comments:

Anita said...

KHNH will always be my fave! Hee, Pri was in all three of the top films. :) 2003 was such an awesome time in BW.

rhilex said...

As far as I'm concerned, KHNH was worth watching more for Saif/SRK slash then any heterosexual romance. :p

Hrithik PWNED that Filmfare award, btw! And oddly enough, Priyanka's outfits in that clip look very 90s Bollywood.

Aya said...

I LOVED 2003!!!!! KAL HO NAA HO is my third favorite movie(after Hum tum and RDB) and that movie made me cry ALOT and laugh ALOT!!! aahhh I loved everything....kaantaben is too funny! just thinking about the film makes me want to cry and watch it again..I love that film. saifu and preity were awesome in khnh.
Koi Mil Gaya was great! so was Munnabhai!!! and ANDAAZ!!!(akshay was HOT) hahah all in all great year.

TadyLovesDaniel said...

OH GAWD!!!! These scenes fueled some of my most wonderful fantasies!!! I love the Saif/SRK paring than the Abhi/Jonh!!! Saifoo + King Khan 4EVER
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghazalintokyo said...

okay this is why growing up watching bollywood is not a good idea--ISHQ VISHK IS THE SAME YEAR AS KAL HO NA HO!? whaaaaaaaaaaat. somehow i remember that film as being incredibly old, whereas i remember watching kal ho na ho and the others very clearly. are you sure!? wow filmigirl.. this blog continues to be revelatory :)

Rum said...

JADOOOO JADOOO yes i loved that bulbous blue alien, I bought the soundtrack and tortured my poor family when we were on a trip! I dont think my uncle's ever forgotten the lyrics to that jadoo song! Lol what a precocious kid i was back then, i remember watching Baghban and then listening to old ladies in the audience say "Hmm mere beta yeh bhi karta(my son does this too)" it was a hilarious watching experience as I'd never seen so many older viewers bring their shame-faced children with them lol!

myrna-nora said...

I'm really enjoying these recaps of the decade. I see there are still so many films to add to my to-watch list. :D Thanks filmi-girl!!!

Bombay Talkies said...

Oh I love M Bole To! I used to play that on repeat when I was working overtime shifts at a theatre in DC, it really keeps you going. And that little bit at 3:00-3:10 is hilarious, I love Arshad in this. The random white girl at 5:35 always throws me.

Katrina debuted way back in '03? Why does it feel like it was more recently?

Love the recap!

-Melissa

Filmi Girl said...

I'm glad everyone is having as much fun as me tripping down memory lane!! There are a ton of films that I want to check out from earlier in the decade... I just have to find them on DVD! (WHERE IS DEEWANGEE, Nehaflix?! Why are you out of stock?!)

@Rum I love the memories! LOL!

@Melissa Katrina didn't really come to our attention until 2005 or so... :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl