Thursday, December 10, 2009

2000s: A Decade in Review - 2002

"Hey Doooola Re Dooooola Re Dooooolaaaa!"

2002 was the year
Devdas won our hearts!

THE FILMS

#1
Devdas


#2
Raaz


#3
Kaante


#4
Aankhen


#5
Humraaz



Other notable films:

Company is a hit for Ram Gopal Varma.

Mr. and Mrs. Iyer wins our hearts.

Kunal Kholi directs his first film,
Mujhse Dosti Karoge.

Saathiya becomes iconic for Rani and Vivek, even if it wasn't a box office success.

ACTORS AND ACTRESSES

Ajay Devgan has a banner year with
Company, The Legend of Bhagat Singh, and Deewangee

Vivek Oberoi deubts in
Company.

Dino Morea has his breakthrough with
Raaz.

Sridevi skips a comeback when she learns she is pregnant with her second child. Karishma Kapoor steps in for her in
Shakti: The Power.

Salman Khan is involved in a drunk driving accident that ends with one person dead and three injured.

Madhurhi Dixit enters semi-retirement after
Devdas.

Shreya Ghosal debuts as a playback singer with a bang!

THE FILMFARE AWARDS (awarded 2003)

Best film:
Devdas
Best director: Sanjay Leela Bhansali for
Devdas
Best actor: Shahrukh Khan for
Devdas
Best actress: Aishwarya Rai for
Devdas
Best supporting actor: Vivek Oberoi for
Company
Best supporting actress: Madhuri Dixit for
Devdas
Best villain: Ajay Devgan for
Deewangee
Best comedian: Paresh Rawal for
Awara Paagal Deewana
Best male debut: Vivek Oberoi for
Company
Best female debut: Esha Deol* for
Koi Mere Dil Se Pooche

Best music director: A.R. Rahman for
Saathiya
Best lyricist: Gulzar for "Saathiya" from
Saathiya
Best male playback: Sonu Nigam for "Saathiya" from
Saathiya
Best female playback: Kavita Krishnamurthy/Shreya Ghosal for "Dola Re" from
Devdas**

*really, guys? Esha Deol?
**this is a rare double award and well-deserved by both ladies!

(Also, apparently I need to see Deewangee... *adds to Netflix queue*)

MEMORABLE SONGS AND SCENES


This is all you need to know about 2002.

Well, maybe a few more things...


I love Vivek zipping along on his motorbike...


...and sticking to Ajay in Company!


Karisma Kapoor in Shakti: The Power!


Shahrukh Khan winning best actor!!! Plus bonus bitch face from Amitabh and adorable face from Vivek Oberoi!

4 comments:

Anita said...

Deewangee is made of so much win! ASDKAGAFHKJGAHJGD!!!! *explodes*

Sorry about that, I love that movie an embarrassing amount. :P

I remember renting Koi Mere Dil Se Poochhe because my parents were curious to see how Dharmendra and Hema Malini's daughter would be in films and...just...wow. I think a plank of wood could have acted circles around Esha in the movie. *shudder*

Bombay Talkies said...

I'm pretty sure Madhuri was about five months pregnant when they filmed Re Dola. I don't look half that good *not* pregnant...I don't know how she did it.

Also not gonna lie, I misread Mujhse Dosti Karoge and thought it said Mujhse *Shaadi* Karoge and sort of did a little puke-in-the-mouth sort of deal. Such an awful awful film.

-Melissa

eliza bennet said...

I want to watch Deewangi too!

I'm suprised that Vivek got all this recognition since neither of his performances were really that good (Company was the better film and Ajay and the ladies did wonders in it, Vivek, not so much)

MSK - sigh, I may be the only one who was entertained by it. I thought it was more fun that MDK.

Filmi Girl said...

@anita I'm ordering Deewangee right now!! Yay! I can't wait to see it!!!

@Melissa I'm with you on MSK - I couldn't even finish that film, despite the fact that I was really enjoying watching Akshay foil every move Salman made.

@Eliza Yay! I can't wait to see Deewangee! There are quite a few movies that I missed from the early part of the 2000s, it's fun going back to see what came out in those years... :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl