Wednesday, December 9, 2009

2000s: A Decade in Review - 2001

Stepping one year into the future... 2001! Aamir Khan and Shahrukh vied for the top spot in Bollywood with some of their best work to date; Bipasha burst onto the scene in Ajnabee; and we see the first major films from soon to be major players Farhan Akhtar and Madhur Bhandarkar.

THE FILMS

Here are the top 5 biggest grossing films of the year:

#1 Gadar


#2 Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham


#3 Lagaan


#4 Hindustani aka (Indian a dubbed 1996 Tamil film)


#5 Dil Chahta Hai



Other notable films:

Lagaan was the first Indian film since Mother India to earn an Oscar nomination for Best Foreign Film.

Shahrukh Khan had a flop with Asoka, the second of three films put out by his ill-fated Dreamz Unlimited production company.

Madhur Bhandarkar found success with Chandni Bar.

As did Farhan Akhtar with Dil Chahta Hai.

The Chori Chori Chupke Chupke scandal continues. The film is released but profits must be handed over to the Indian government. More arrests are made.

ACTORS AND ACTRESSES

Sunny Deol's career peaks with Gadar.

Bipasha Basu debuts in Ajnabee.

Arjun Rampal debuts in Pyaar Ishq aur Mohabbat.

Tusshar Kapoor debuts in Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai.

Dia Mirza debuts.

Rekha was having a hit year with Lajja and Zubeidaa.

Ashok Kumar passes away at the age of 90.

Akshay Kumar and Twinkle Khanna are married; Twinkle retires from the film industry.

Aishwarya Rai and Salman Khan break up.

Raveena Tandon hits her peak with Aks and Daman.

Anil Kapoor enters a small career slump.

Rishi Kapoor accepts the inevitable, bids the chocolate hero farewell, and takes a role as father to Kajol in Kuch Khatti Kuch Meethi.

Both Akshaye Khanna and Saif Ali Khan seems poised for great things after Dil Chahta Hai.

Adnan Sami gains a toe-hold as a playback singer with "Tu sirf mera mehboob" from Ajnabee.

THE FILMFARE AWARDS (awarded in 2002)

Best film: Lagaan
Best director: Ashutosh Gowariker for Lagaan
Best actor: Aamir Khan for Lagaan
Best actress: Kajol for Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham
Best supporting actor: Akshaye Khanna for Dil Chahta Hai
Best supporting actress: Jaya Bachchan for Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham
Best villain: Akshay Kumar for Ajnabee
Best comedian: Saif Ali Khan for Dil Chahta Hai*
Best male debut: Tusshar Kapoor for Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai
Best female debut: Bipasha Basu for Ajnabee

Best music director: A.R. Rahman for Lagaan
Best lyricist: Javed Akhtar for "Mitwa" from Lagaan
Best male playback: Udit Narayan for "Mitwa" from Lagaan
Best female playback: Alka Yagnik for "O Re Chhori" from Lagaan

*this has always baffled me, since Aamir was the funniest of the three guys

MEMORABLE SCENES AND SONGS


Shahrukh racing home in K3G!


The cricket team training in Lagaan!


Lovely Kajol winning the Filmfare Award for K3G!! (Check out the classic bitch-face from Amisha Patel...)


Akshaye Khanna and Dimple Kapadia in Dil Chahta Hai!


Bipasha Basu and Akshay Kumar in Ajnabee!

10 comments:

Anita said...

Ohhhh 2001, the year I actually started watching BW movies in theatres regularly, starting with K3G. You should also mention that Kajol decided to QUIT MOVIES, which freaking broke my heart. ;_;

Saif was in the comedian section because he wasn't the main lead, which I guess Aamir was nominated for DCH in? But then, didn't Sanjay Dutt win best comedian for Munnabhai one year? Ohhh Filmfare Awards. ;)

Lastly, I find Mehboob to be one of Akshay's most charming song videos. <3 Watch it all the time!

Bombay Talkies said...

I'm finally delurking, after having read your site for ages it seems.

I've been on a Lagaan kick the past few days, I just rewatched it last night and I'd completely forgotten how gripping it was! Usually the Filmfare Awards (or hell, any Indian film awards) baffle me in the stuff they praise, but they got it right on Lagaan. In Chale Chalo, towards the end when Kachra gets a line in the song and he turns his face into a breeze...that gets me every time. Such a great film, thanks for the flashback!

Rum said...

Ohhh 2001, when i was a wee kiddywink in London watching SRk in what i dubbed "Kabhi Gham Kabhi Gham" back then it was such an awesome film with SRK looking hot while coming out of the water in Egypt and Hritik flaunting that bod and thumb in You Are my Soniya! But that POOOOO sketch ughhhh haunts me to this day! Kareena never do a clueless spoof ever again!
Loved lagaan i even stayed up till 3 to watch the oscars on london time! Love these lists filmi girl, lol but i'm too lazy to do my own so I'll bore you with comments everyday of my growth in the Noughties lol!

ghazalintokyo said...

omg!! filmigirl you are making me nostalgic for my childhood with these reviews. awesome :)

eliza bennet said...

This is the first time I even heard of Gadar.

And Ajnabee should be shown in acting schools as an example of how not to act (I'm looking at you Bobby Deol!!!)

Filmi Girl said...

@anita I forgot about Kajol quitting!! *slaps own wrist* Sorry! I'll edit it in... :)

Saifu should have been nominated in the best supporting actor category IMHO but what's done is done... there are some good Filmfare winners coming up!

@Bombay Talkies Welcome! Glad you delurked! Lagaan was the first BW film I was able to see on the big screen, so I have very fond memories of it. :)

@Rum Hee!!! I'm enjoying your comments. :)

@ghazalintokyo Nostalgia is what these posts are all about! :D

@eliza LOL!!!!!! I don't think anyone has ever accused Bobby Deol of "acting." He needs to find a new niche and fast...

Michael Barnum said...

Wow, what a great year for films that was...but GADAR? Uff....I loved the first half of the film, but don't think I could ever watch the last half again, ever. Wonderful songs, though.

DIL CHAHTA HAI and LAGAAN...love 'em!

Filmi Girl said...

@michael Hee! It's funny how the most popular movies are not always the ones we remember....

questionairre said...

As you yourself have pointed out that Hindustani was dubbed 1996 film,wonder what prompted its inclusion. It was one of the biggest hits on 96, surely, after only Raja Hindustani and Agnisakshi.

Filmi Girl said...

@questionairre I have no idea - I'm going by the figures of Box Office India... :) If they are wrong, then I am wrong.... :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl