Tuesday, December 8, 2009

2000s: A Decade in Review - 2000

In the year 2000.... otherwise known as "The Year Hrithik Roshan PWNED Bollywood!"

THE FILMS

Here are the top 5 biggest grossing films of the year:

#1 Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai


#2 Mohabbatein


#3 Mission Kashmir


#4 Josh


#5 Refugee


Other notable films:

The comedy team of the 2000s was first formed with Hera Pheri, directed by Priyadarshan and starring Paresh Rawal, Akshay Kumar, and Suneil Shetty.

Hey Ram was the first Bollywood film shot in sync sound.

Mela gave Aamir Khan a rare box office turkey - the curse of Twinkle Khanna, perhaps, who was still acting.

ACTORS AND ACTRESSES

Some of the actors who debuted this year were Abhishek Bachchan, Kareena Kapoor, Amisha Patel, Hrithik Roshan, Uday Chopra, and Boman Irani.

Mohabbatein saw the rise of Amitabh Bachchan as a national father figure, instead of an action hero, and was his first major success since his comeback in 1997. He also began hosting Kaun Banega Crorepati.

Shahrukh Khan (as he still does) dominated the box office, although Hrithik Roshan was giving him a run for his money as the new kid on the block. Sanjay Dutt, Bobby Deol, Anil Kapoor, Akshay Kumar, Suniel Shetty, Govinda, Salman Khan, and Aamir Khan were the other big Heroes.

Aishwarya Rai, Karishma Kapoor, Madhuri Dixit, Rani Mukerji, Raveena Tandon, Sonali Bendre, Sushmita Sen, Manisha Koirala, Tabu, and Shilpa Shetty were among the big Heroines.

Preity Zinta had her break-through role with Mission Kashmir.

Anil Kapoor won rave reviews for Rajkumar Santoshi's Pukar.

Hrithik Roshan married girlfriend Suzanne Khan.

Shahrukh and Gauri Khan have a baby girl.

Aishwarya Rai is still dating Salman Khan; the police are sent around to her house on multiple occasions to deal with "disturbances."

Karishma Kapoor is riding the wave of her mini-comeback after her break from films in 1998.

Raveena Tandon has yet to hit her second career wave.

Jackie Shroff's career is beginning to fade.

Govinda plays a villain for the first time in Shikari.

Nadira is seen in her last major role.

THE FILMFARE AWARDS (awarded in 2001)

Best film: Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai
Best director: Rakesh Roshan for Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai
Best actor: Hrithik Roshan for Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai
Best actress: Karishma Kapoor for Fiza
Best supporting actor: Amitabh Bachchan for Mohabbatein
Best supporting actress: Jaya Bachchan for Fiza
Best villain: Sunil Shetty for Dhadkan
Best comedian: Paresh Rawal for Hera Pheri
Best male debut: Hrithik Roshan for Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai
Best female debut: Kareena Kapoor for Refugee

Best music director: Rajesh Roshan for Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai
Best lyricist: Javed Akhtar for "Panchi Nadiyan" from Refugee
Best male playback: Lucky Ali for "Na Tum Jaano" from Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai
Best female playback: Alka Yagnik for "Dil Ne Yeh Kaha" from Dhadkan

SCANDALS

The Mumbai police seize the negatives of the Rani-Ajay starrer Chori Chori Chupke Chupke from producer Nazim Ravi after he is arrested for his connection with the Karachi-based mafia.

Sandalwood icon Doctor Raj aka Rajkumar was held kidnapped and held hostage for 109 days by bandit known as Veerappan.

MEMORABLE SCENES AND SONGS


Hrithik Roshan's first Filmfare win for Best Actor!


Shahrukh and Helen dance in Mohabbatein!


Akshay Kumar's memorable entrance in Hera Pheri!


Suniel Shetty and Shilpa Shetty in Dhadkan!


An impossibly young Abhishek and Bebo in Refugee!


Preity Zinta and Hrithik Roshan in Mission Kashmir!


And the harbinger of everything the 2000s would stand for: the triumphant return of Hrithik Roshan as his own double post-interval in Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai

15 comments:

TadyLovesDaniel said...

ahh! sigh! Those were the good ol' days!

Filmi Girl said...

@Tady Those were the days, indeed... *sigh* I think this will be a fun project! :D

rhilex said...

That's it! I need to watch Kaho Na Pyar Hai.

And I LOVED SRK + Helen in Mohabbatein! <3

ajnabi said...

Why do people always talk about Refugee like it was a flop? I had no idea it was the fifth highest grossing film of the year! I need to get Mohabbatein. Netflix hasn't had it since I've joined and I don't think it's ever going to leave the "saved" queue. :-(

Anita said...

Aahh, I'm not ready for the decade to end yet! :D

I've been seeing so many decade lists for EVERYTHING, I think I need to join in on the fun one of these days. :)

Rum said...

That year was such an excellent start to the millenium! I think I'm gonna have to steal this idea, its hard not relive some the crazy movies i watched as a kid to teen to Bolly crazy young woman!

Aya said...

ahhh I can't believe the 2000s are coming to an end......it makes me soo sad but at least i graduate next year :D! anyways i believe that after the 90s the 2000s is the best decade for bollywood films. there were SO many hits! And I just got into bollywood a year ago. I feel like i missed so much. oh well.

rossywar said...

Helen's still got it!! I remember that as being the best part of Mohabbatein - and I watched at a time when I didn't relaise the full significance of HELEN dancing.

eliza bennet said...

Ok to people who are eager to watch Kaho Naa Pyar Hai - approach with caution and get ready for a red Hrithik.

To people who are eager to watch Mohabbettain - this film caused phsycological disorder in me during viewing. I giggled most of the time AB was on screen and cried my heart out for SRK and Aish.
Caution: an Uday Chopra you'll not easily forget (and in this case it is a bad thing)

eliza bennet said...

And the idea to make this sort of post a project: FTW!

Anarchivist said...

One of these days, I need to watch Hrithak's debut, if just for the iconic see-through shirt.

Glad to see "Josh" on the list! It's not up to the giddy standards of "Ram Jaane," but it's an enjoyable entry in the list of scrappy street-fightin' Shah Rukh movies.

Filmi Girl said...

I'm glad the year 2000 has such good memories for everyone!!

Also, I can't believe how many people have NOT seen Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai!

Who wants to do a movie watch-a-long for it? We can have fun watching Rakesh Roshan try to cover up Hrithik's double thumb!

And @Eliza LOL! over Uday Chopra! He certainly hasn't done much with his career... ;P

granada28 said...

Filmigirl I'll join in this watch-a-long!

I haven't seen KNPH yet either...(and I'm a big Hrithik fan) but then again I'm a relative newbie so I'd love to hear the seasoned fans' opinions!

shell said...

Ah, I've already seen Kaho Na Pyaar Hai. Can I join in anyway?

Great recap. Big year in the fraternity for sure. Love the news bits and the clips. Lots I haven't seen before. Looking forward to the next one.

rhilex said...

I would love to join in the watch-a-long... Only I don't have the film. Life sucks. :p

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl