Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Zoobi Doobi: Song Promo


It's disappointing that the music for this song is so terrible because the set design is quite nice.


Here is what I had to say about it in my my review of the music for the film:


Unfortunately, the momentum of 'Aal Izz Well' cannot be maintained and the next track is the limp "Zoobi Doobi". This is where music director Shantanu Moitra reveals himself as the creator of the faux-retro soundtracks of Khoya Khoya Chand and Parineeta. 'Zoobi Dooni' attempts to capture the effortless charm of O.P. Nayyar but ends up sounding more like a commercial jingle than 'Barso Re Hai Bairi'. One almost expects the lyrics to start offering chocolate biscuits. Shreya Ghoshal and Sonu Niigaam are allowed to indulge their worst instincts and over-sing their phrases, pushing far too hard on the notes and the cutesy instrumentation grates on the nerves. Surprisingly, "Zoobi Doobi - Remix" almost manages to salvage the track by getting rid of the instrumentation and toning down the vocals.


You know what else has really been bugging me about these 3 Idiots promos?



Aamir Khan's bug eyes.


Seriously!! They're freaky! Aamir didn't always have eyes like this - he looked perfectly normal (if not quite "31") in Ghajini. It's totally a bad brow lift.


AAMIIIIIIIIR! Why?! Why did you do this to your face?!


Honestly, guys, I don't think I can watch 3 Idiots with that face looking at me in every frame.

10 comments:

eliza bennet said...

I love Rajkumar Hirani and very eager to watch this film especially after reading the book. Madhavan seriously looks like "Alok" character in the book.

But Aamir??? Really I mean even when he is not bug eyed (I agree with you, it really annoyed me when I watched the trailers - and there was no getting away from them when in India switching channels late at night-) he has visible botox and despite all these he still looks over 40! How in the world he will play a collage student? And what were these intelligent people thinking giving him the role, and him taking it? He looks like Sharman and Maddy's Uncle!

The interesting thing is that there is actually a suitable role for Aamir in the book, a very young professor, which he would have been perfect for.

moviemeh said...

Even in Ghajini I noticed he seemed to bug his eyes when he got angry. I wrote in one of my Netflix friend notes: "Did you know that when Aamir Khan gets angry, Amrish Puri's eyes teleport to his head?"

moviemeh said...

Didn't know about the brow lift/botox though. Sad.

bollywooddeewana said...

I think the bug eyes are exaggerated to indicate the comedy/playful nature of the film. I actually like the zoobi zoobi song very relaxing and playful at the same time but each to their own i guess

claire said...

i feel you about the bug eyes!
it's like aamir is trying to hypnotize us into watching the film or something... (he's failing so far)

rhilex said...

OMG Aamir's eyes are SO FREAKY. It's like this --> 8D <--Aamir. And Zoobi Doobi DOES kind of sound like a commercial jingle... I used to be highly looking forward to Three Idiots, but lately not so much. It just seems like a B-grade film that's only getting a lot of attention because Aamir's in it.

myrna-nora said...

I like the picturization, but the song sounds too childish --like they should be backed up by a chorus of dancing seven year-olds with lollipops.
I usally love Aamir's films, but I think I will wait for the DVD on this one, unless I see something really great to change my mind. The style of comedy/silliness that I am seeing in the trailer and promo pictures doesn't look appealing.
Do we know how old Aamir is supposed to be in this film? I can stretch my imagination to 35-ish but 20-ish is ridiculous.

Bollyviewer said...

I actually loved the song AND the picturisation - so delightfully retro and bouncy. It was in fact my favorite song in the soundtrack and I would happily do the chicken dance to it any day! :-D

But then, I do love Moitra's music - Parineeta is my favorite soundtrack in recent times and Khoya Khoya Chand comes close. Anything retro (faux or otherwise) is right up my street!

Simran said...

I AGREE!! The music isnt so great and Aamir's eyes are freaking me out lol :P

Filmi Girl said...

Hee! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Aamir was looking a little weird.

@Bollyviewer and Bollydeewana I guess we just have very different tastes. :) I find the song extremely grating but then I've been jamming to "Paisa Paisa" from De Dana Dan...

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl