Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tuesday Post!

Good morning, all! Did everyone watch The Big Bang Theory last night?! Raj was watching something that featured Udit Narayan singing! Did anyone catch the song title?

Okay, moving on!

* While I, too, understand the campy appeal of Govinda soaring around the sky dressed like Superman and dancing - through the magic of 1980s film technology - in midair - I loathe the contextless mocking that this clip has generated. Yes, Govinda boogies in mid-air! Get over it! The refusal to understand this at more than face value pisses me off.

Sure, sometimes I will mock a film (*cough* Love Story 2050) - but I do so in context and usually with a bit of love. Random non-Bollywood fans mock because they feel superior and because they feel popular Indian cinema is worthless.

Speaking of which - Time magazine - ever ready make a non-story out of things - is concerned that fame has "ruined" the lives of the child actors in Slumdog Millionaire. Did anybody think of the lives of the child actors before they filmed Slumdog Millionaire? And what about all the other kids in the slums?

* Bebo will be brand ambassador for size zero laptops! Also, she may be replacing Katrina in Dostana 2! Interesting... will Abhi and Bebo be the new "it" pairing?

* Ranbir and Deepika is almost definitely over. "Sources" say he kept getting too flirty with other ladies - to which I say, "If you can't handle your man roving a little bit, do NOT date a Kapoor."

* Katrina Kaif gives a nicely snarky interview.

Did you attend Jessica Simpson’s party?

No, why should I? She’s just another American actress. People make such a big deal about them.

Are you meeting Danny Boyle?

What’s the point? It’s not like I’m waiting for him to launch me in one of his films.

* Director SS Rajamouli - of superhit Magadherra - will be doing his next with the Young Rebel Star himself!

* This article on "videshi" faces in Bollywood annoyed me. First of all, Kalki Koechlin may be white but she's Indian - just like Tom Alter. Jacqueline Fernandez is from Sri Lanka, and I don't think her features are all that uncommon in India.

The whole article is an excuse for some of the authors SRK/Angelina Jolie fanfic. Post it to fanfiction.net, dude, and stop making boring and wrong generalizations.

* Asin has walked out of Ashutosh Gowarikar's upcoming film. She was supposed to star opposite Abhishek Bachchan but decided she didn't like her role. Fair enough - he did just deliver a big stinker in What's Your Rashee.

* Apparently, none of the Diwali releases did well at the box office.

* Imtiaz Ali zings Hollywood in his latest interview.

What about world cinema?

Since I hail from a small town like Jamshedpur, I did not have access to world cinema. When I came to Delhi and then Mumbai, I got exposed to it. Now I have reached a stage where I don’t enjoy Hollywood movies at all. Watching a Hollywood movie is like shopping in a Supermarket, It’s pretty boring.

I feel you, dude, world cinema can be pretty dull - especially the Hollywood Oscar-bait movies. *yawn*

Zombieland, on the other hand, not boring.

10 comments:

Anita said...

Raj was watching Duplicate! He was listening to Mere Mehboob Mere Sanam from Duplicate with Juhi, Sonali and Shahrukh, hee!! So much win. <3

Kareena in Dostana 2? I thought she had tiffs with both John and Abhi?

I'll believe Dee and Bir broke up when they officially come out with it. I didn't believe they were dating until they officially announced it either.

Filmi Girl said...

Anita, you rock! I knew somebody had to have caught it. I love that Raj enjoys a good SRK film as much as the rest of us.

I keep waiting for them to do a dream sequence of Raj in a Bollywood film!

ajnabi said...

Bwahahahahahaha about Katrina Kaif's interview! "Just another American actress" indeed, Kat, couldn't agree with you more. :-D

Another reason it's full of win? Starbuck from BSG will be on it. <3

shell said...

Wow. Lots of good stuff today!

I'm with Kat on that one too. I can hardly stomach Jessica Simpson on tv - I don't know how my system would react to her in person.

Also, I will raise my hand and say that I absolutely do not want to see Shah Rukh romancing Angelina. If I wanted to see her act I'd watch her Hollywood films.

martoufmarty said...

I love world cinema. I'll watch pretty much anything from anywhere as long as it sounds interesting.

Sometimes I just hate how all the big name films that are considered worldly are all serious and 'life changing'.

I'll admit - I love films like 'Gaav' and 'Captain Abu Raed', but equally I love films like 'Turn Left, Turn Right' and 'Billa'.

It's just silly to say that you love (for example) Bollywood if all you're watching are these critically acclaimed films like 'Mother India' and 'Devdas'.

I love movies from all over the place. Whether they're critically acclaimed like 'The Wave' or something completely silly and slightly trashy like 'Ritana'.

As a side note, I love Raj! Him and Howard are like an old married couple. They completely outshine Leonard and Sheldon.

Rum said...

Lol I loved it when Raj was listening "Mere Mehboob Mere Sanam" and i half did the dancing from that song too! I dont mind the Abhishek Bebo pairing just they look funny nowadays coz she looks gaunt next to the cute Abhi!

ajnabi said...

Oh, hey! Before my "full of win" paragraph was supposed to be a quote from you about Big Bang Theory! Hm, guess I forgot to paste. Anyway, that was the "it" to which I was referring. :-)

Simran said...

As long as Katrina's not in Dostana 2, I'm all good. But I have to admit, it won't be as good without Priyanka . :(

Woo-hoo! Go Imtiaz Ali :D I love it when people snub Hollywood .. hehe xD

Faizan said...

Loved last night's TBBT!

Raj was so funny being the woman in their bromance!

The song was SO fitting in the scene. Did you get the translation?

"How would I have known... that you would change so much.. you'd love me so much.."

Filmi Girl said...

@Faizan You and your American TV! Hee!! You know I watched the new 90210 last night and it was just as cheezy/trashy as any 90s Akki starrer... ;P

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl