Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tuesday Gossip!

I had this lovely dream last night that I was visiting in Tromso... I do miss Norway sometimes.

Anyways, let's see if Tinsel Town has anything big going on!

* There is a rain song in De Dana Dan but Akshay doesn't want it publicized. Which, of course, means that the song is getting more publicity than if they had just released a promo.

* A camera crew gone rogue caught an SMS tiff between Saifu and Bebo!

* The Katrina Kaif Barbie Dolls should be out in December. There is a spot waiting in my display case!! (No, seriously. I have a doll collection.)

* Karan Johar sticks up for Vivek Oberoi.

"Vivek is a good actor and he has proven himself in each of the films where he has been given a chance to perform. Forget his earlier films like Company or Saathiya which everyone talks about. Even in his last big film where he had an author backed role, Shoot Out At Lokhandwala, he had done quite well. He will bounce back for sure with Kurbaan and other newer set of movies that he is doing. But before that, let him be a surprise package in a film like Kurbaan where he doesn't have to carry the film's weight. Let audiences watch him without expectations and be impressed with what they see. If he has a good role and performance, he will have everything to gain."

* The hunt is on to find a teenaged actor to play a young Akshay Kumar in Patiala House. Can I admit that my first thought was, "Thank God he's not just going to play it himself"?

* Island Crisis has gathered a bunch of different PETA ads featuring Bollywood stars. One difference between these ads and ones aimed at a Western audience is the equal objectification between the actors and actresses. American PETA ads exclusively sexualize and objectify women. I don't have a lot of (or any, actually) respect for that. It's a big difference to see something like the Sheetal Mallar ad where she is clothed and hugging a teddy bear versus Pam Anderson in a lettuce bikini.

* Kites is in MORE trouble. The release date is being pushed back (again) so as not to compete with My Name is Khan.

* A screening of Tum Mile was interrupted by a crowd protesting Mahesh Bhatt's son's links with terrorism suspect David Headley.

* After the success of Manasaare, Diganth and Yogaraj Bhatt are teaming up again!

* Variety reports that Ajab Prem Ki... had the 4th highest opening in India, ever!! Congratulations to Rajkumar Santoshi, Ranbir, and Katrina!! Variety also goes on to say that it shows that audiences prefer rom-com's to stuff like Jail. I only have one word in response: "Duh." The same thing would have happened in the States if The Proposal or 17 Again opened opposite a small budget indie film about being in jail.


Katrina and Ranbir at the Ajab Prem... success party!


Sameera Reddy promoting De Dana Dan - she's playing Suniel Shetty's girlfriend in it!

7 comments:

eliza bennet said...

K-Jo can love Vivek all he likes, the guy is not that good an actor as far as I'm concerned.

I'm so happy for the Katrina love, I liked her the moment I saw her on screen.

rhilex said...

All this effort to make Kites just absolutely 100% percent perfect is doing no good for the public favor. If you have to try that hard to push something up, odds are it's not strong enough to stand on it's own. I like Hrithik as an actor, but I'm not expecting anything big from Kites.

ajnabi said...

Let me use absolutely no prophetic powers whatsoever when I predict Kites will suck.

I thought Sameera and Suniel looked pretty good together, which surprised me because usually a 20-year age gap squicks me out.

I think Vivek's decent. I'm going to wait till after Kurbaan to make my own personal final call though.

E said...

Please allow me to be shallow and superficial for a moment - "Kites" looks like nothing to write home about but is it possible that Hrithik looks more beautiful as he gets older? How unfair is that to the rest of us?

Filmi Girl said...

@ajnabi re: Sameera and Suniel, I totally agree! She has an "older" look about her and Suniel is still the HOT UNCLE!

Simran said...

I'm so happy for Vivek! He deserves to be praised as I really do think he's an amazing actor ! :D

Kiran said...

More than Kurbaan, i'm waiting for the release of Raktha Charitra. I have a feeling he will absolutely rock in that one. How could he not, given that he has to compete with Surya for screen space?

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl