Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sunday!

I hope everyone had a great Halloween! I'm still tired from last night's party but I will rally the troops and start posting!

Before I begin, I want to share this article on Indian comic books! Comic book fans should check it out!

And these comics, aimed at Indian school kids in the '70s, became popular with parents who packed the books when they became part of India's enormous diaspora: They were a way for families in Britain or America to stay in touch with their heritage. (The company has sold roughly 100 million comics in about 20 Indian languages and English.)

Perhaps the most fascinating -- and seemingly contradictory -- point about the show is how this classic American form has led India to come up with work that is deeply and essentially Indian: The slogan of Pai's comics, printed on the inside cover, was "The route to your roots."


* Preity Zinta is on Twitter! Her name is @realpreityzinta for those curious.

* The Business Standard has an interesting profile of Pritam!

A pair of twin flats on the seventh floor of a housing society in Oshiwara, Mumbai, is music director Pritam Chakraborty’s office, residence and hi-tech studio all rolled into one. As I wait to meet him in the guest room, actor Akshay Kumar (wearing red trousers) comes by with director Priyadarshan. “Not every star comes for music sittings,” says Pritam, “but this is Akshay’s home production, Khatta Meetha, so he is more serious.”

* Ranbir has many complimentary things to say about Katrina Kaif.

* Bebo is set to star opposite Abhishek in a new film.

* Trisha's film with Akshay is not a comedy - it's a Hrishikesh Mukherjee-style family film!

And a tip of the hat to wired.com for this charming video of Kalki Koechlin cooking in the kitchen! Keep your eyes peeled for her lumbering boyfriend director Anurag Kashyap...!

4 comments:

shell said...

I'm surprised that Kareena has decided to do that film with Abhishek. From recent articles that I've read it sounded like that would never happen. I wonder who convinced who.
Sounds like you had a great Halloween.

Kiran said...

Kalki is so adorable! How cute that she calls making a salad - "cooking". For me one has to turn on the stove to cook :P.

d said...

sweet--thanks for posting. i'll catch the exhibit next time i'm in la.

if you're interested in comics, a pretty good book on ACK came out last year. i forget the title, but i read a chunk of it sitting in Ram Advani's shop. there's also a nice pamphlet-size article on Raj comics put out by Sarai.

Filmi Girl said...

@Kiran Her salad looks pretty good, I have to say! I may try that one... :)

@d If you do remember the title to that book, let me know. I'd be interested in taking a look. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl