Saturday, November 21, 2009

Saturday Goss...!

Sorry!! I'm a little late this morning (almost afternoon!)

I've been hearing that Kurbaan isn't doing too well at the box office but that the critics like it. I'm going to try to go this afternoon and will hopefully have my review up sometime later tonight.

(And my three word review for those who like this sort of thing, New Moon = awesome.)

But... Bollywood gossip!

* Stardust has an entertaining conspiracy theory regarding Bebo, Aamir, and SRK.

* Aamir defends his "idiotic" decision to play a 22-year old.

* A blogger over at livemint confuses popular entertainment about terrorists with attempts at actual news reporting. And K.Jo. is here to remind you NOT to do that.

Of course the film is conveying an important point of view with an eye on global terrorism. However, at the heart of it all, it's a love story and that itself is its biggest strength too. This is what constitutes for an emotional narrative against the backdrop of terrorism. Of course emotional strength is the film's mainstay but I can confidently state that Kurbaan does scratch the surface more than any other film based on a similar subject. Still, we are not making a political or a social commentary here.

* Madhuri Dixit has not yet agreed to the Mrs. Gandhi project.

* Amitabh Bachchan gets on his soap box and tries to tell us that people don't like Bollywood anymore now that they've seen Hollywood movies. Really. Gee - I guess that is why Ghajini was the biggest movie of 2008. Because people hate masala now.

Far be it for me to insist that I know what Indian viewers want but it seems to me that middle class films like Kora Kagaz have always existed alongside popular masala fare like Sholay. How is that different from the variety between Wake Up Sid and Ghajini? There is room for both types of movies in the world - and plenty of people LOVE masala. There is a reason Magadheera was the biggest grossing film down south and it wasn't because it was "just like Hollywood."

4 comments:

Anonlee said...

That is not what I got from Amitabh's comment. He is saying that Indian cinema now has to provide something for everyone - not just song and dance movies.

He has always said song and dance are an integral part of their movies. If there is an audience that prefers movies without the naachgaana, then there are filmmakers who are responding to that audience.

Amitabh would be the last person to diss Indian cinema.

rhilex said...

I find it hilarious that that article says that "SRK's magic in Bollywood is waning", because it doesn't seem to be farther from the truth for me. And he seems to be doing pretty fine at the box office to me. :S Maybe they said that because he's not doing college boy roles, or maybe that writer was just a die-hard Aamir fan and SRK hater. *shrugs* I like both of them, and don't think Kareena meant anything 'in between the lines' of that comment.

With all respect to Mr. Bachchan, a lot of that article was weird. I don't think the audience dislikes masala, either. It's a diverse audience, so we need diverse films. Masala (whether intelligent or just silly), art house, hollywood-ish, intelligent, etc!

Simran said...

I agree with Rhilex ... I don't think Kareena meant anything by stating that comment. Plus, what would she get out of creating an enemy with either SRK or Aamir?

ajnabi said...

I'm pretty sure that Stardust article is full of crap, but at least it sells for entertainment. :-)

I thought that Amitabh Bachchan interview was weird too. I mean, maybe it was taken way out of context or something, but quotes like "I think recent not-so-successful releases have indicated that audiences in India are now wanting to move away from the traditional format of escapist commercial cinema and see cinema with a greater amount of meaning," kind of give me pause.

I mean, it's not the escapism that's the problem. It's hole-filled scripts and faint attempts at characterization (Dil Bole Hadippa, I'm looking at you). 2012 is escapist and it's doing bangin' numbers here in the States. Twilight embodies escapism. Hollywood makes bank on escapism and Bollywood can too, most of the time in a package more to my tastes, whether the package in which it arrives is Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi or Jodhaa Akbar (which, despite being an "historical epic" blah blah blah epicblah was totally romantic escapism). Right? Right? So... why do we not want that anymore?

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl