Saturday, November 28, 2009

Saturday Bolly Goss...!

Good morning!! My big excitement today is that Akshay Kumar answered a few of my questions for Bollyspice.com!!

The full interview is here and my questions:

Working with Priyadarshan seems to be a good luck charm for you - where does that good chemistry come from? Is it the scripts that he chooses, or his style of direction, or something else?

Everything you just said and more! Apart from the fact I get such a kick out of working for a comedy genius, there is no one like him. He's the fastest director in the business. Priyanji has such a strong team working for him. His shots are set up in minutes, he knows what he wants, he gets it and moves on, next minute he's already reciting you his next script and bam your shooting for his next film before you've even released his last one... You ask no questions. He tells me what to wear, where to stand, what to say, and when to jump, and I happily oblige. I trust him completely. As we speak I am in a village shooting his next film. I'm on the 5th day and still have no idea about what's going to happen in the film. One must surrender themselves as an actor to him, and that's what I love about the man, he's passionate about his films.

Although the fans appreciate every film, the critics can be so negative. How do you keep from letting those bad feelings affect you?

Well it's not a secret that this industry is TOUGH and you need to have a thick skin to be able to deal with the (sometimes harsh) criticisms that come your way. Some of it can be constructive though so I know when to take on board certain things and that's when I put my hands up and say, "I'm sorry, I promise to do better next time". But my family is there to help me get through anything that is thrown at me so that helps of course.

Tashan has developed a cult following online. Is there any film of yours that you think should be a cult classic, or was overlooked by fans and deserves another chance?

I'm not sure, but the thing is I respect the voice of the fans as its them I'm making movies for so if they haven't recognized something then I appreciate it, take on what they are saying and try to make it better for next time. Sometimes I think what happens, especially with movies that break the tradition of a typical Bollywood
Masala film, is that it is not fully understood and then it doesn't communicate properly to the audiences.

I love me some Akshay Kumar!! The Akshay No. 1 Ladies Fan Club did herself proud, I think.

Okay, in non-Akki related news:

* Check out this interview with Vivek Oberoi!

* There is a new film that explores the image of Shahrukh Khan!

* Priyadarshan is holding back the rain song from De Dana Dan for a few days. I think this is a really interesting business decision. For those who see the film early, there is an incentive to see it again the following weekend. Of course, this only works if the film is good enough to see twice but I'll be curious to see if a) it works for De Dana Dan and b) if any other directors are bold enough to add "bonus content" for the second week's screenings.

* Shahid has worked hard for his Chance Pe Dance look.

* Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Hrithik have been bickering over the use of English in Guzarish. Hrithik feels there is too much and has been speaking lines in Hindi.

* K.Jo. is playing defense about Kurbaan.

And, as you know, I saw De Dana Dan yesterday. First of all, it was hilarious and I should have a review up later, but secondly, I got to see the trailers for Prince - It's Showtime, which looks SO COOL and Veer, which looks SO TRASHY!

I can't embed Veer but here is Prince - It's Showtime!

5 comments:

Sujal said...

2 things about Prince...

1- From the makers of Race? I'm a bit worried now.

2- The Bourne Identity?

Filmi Girl said...

@sujal LOL! But I think Vivek will be able to dig some emotion out - he's much more emotive than Saifu or Akshaye Khanna. At the very least, it should be full of LULZ - intentional or not.

bollywooddeewana said...

PRINCE looks like it has some shades of GHAJINI, I HOPE ITS INTERESTING AND IT DOES WONDERS FOR VIVEK

Simran said...

AWHHH!!! I can't wait for Prince! IT seems like such an amazingly cool movie! :D Not exactly liking the female leads but I know Vivek will make up for that :P

eliza bennet said...

Hmmm Prince trailer first reminded me of Crank - then I thought excessive use of Slow Mo, then I thought Vivek looks stupid (why they chose Vivek, seriously, John would have looked fantastic in this) and as soon as I saw "the makers of Race" I cheered up. I know a lot of people hated it but that film was entertaining (to me) and I don't even care for Saifu, I dislike Anil and tend to forget Akshaye even exists. So even though Vivek never really impressed me so far (neither with his acting nor with his physique) I'm now looking forward for this film (also it probably helps that I love heights :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl