Thursday, November 5, 2009

Bachna Ae Haseeno! (And he isn't kidding!)

Yes, another re-posting of a review. In honor of Ajab Prem Ki... I thought I would dig up my review of Bachna Ae Haseeno. I really enjoyed this movie, even if Deepika's character (and acting) was awful. Bipasha really stole the show, though, and I'd love to see her opposite Ranbir again!

Oh, Ranbir! Not too many actors could make a character who is a self-described lady “killer” into a sympathetic human. Bachna Ae Haseeno is the story of Raj (Ranbir Kapoor) and the three ladies who shaped his romantic life – played by Minisha Lamba, Bipasha Basu, and Deepika Padukone.


(Normally, I would totally be turned off by stills like this...)

Lady #1:


Minisha Lamba plays Mahi, whom Raj meets on a Eurorail trip through Switzerland at the height of DDLJ mania. Mahi has a filmi idea of love and romance. When Raj punctures this with his very real-life actions she gives up on the idea of love and romance forever and settles into a loveless life with her arranged marriage husband. The lesson Mahi takes away is that filmi love exists only in films – which is not a bad lesson to learn in my cynical opinion. She does manage to find another kind of adult romantic love with her husband after Raj apologizes and Mahi opens her heart once again. It’s a very sweet story and Minisha does a good job with innocent Mahi, although her clothes are terrible! She spends the first part of the story in this awful green genie-pants and pink top combination.

Lady #2:


Bipasha Basu plays Radhika, who gets the worst of Raj’s adolescent treatment. I’m not a huge Bipasha Basu fan [Filmi Girl speaking! See how long ago this was!], but I thought she did a great job here. She plays the typical Bipasha sex-pot character except that this one has an internal life and motivations! Who would have thought that attractive women can have brains, as well? Radhika falls for Raj’s charms and he falls for her availability. She loves him and he loves that he can have her. He’s obviously too immature to be in a relationship, which becomes very clear when he leaves her at the alter rather than just tell her that he wants to break up.

Radhika gets her revenge when Raj comes to apologize for his mistakes by making him her personal assistant (because she’s a big star now!) What I found the most interesting about the Bipasha story was that she very realistically felt worthless when he ditched her and took it that she deserved the ill treatment because she was “fast” and lived with him before marriage. The script could easily have supported that conclusion but instead takes another route by blaming RAJ for being immature and leading her on. Radhika is vindicated!

Lady #3:


Deepika’s character was played up as a female version of Raj’s “killer,” but I don't think that’s quite right. Gayatri is a modern, liberated woman. She doesn’t believe in marriage because she wants to live her life without having to double-check with a partner about everything she does. She wants to earn her own living and pay her own way. We don’t get any clue as to why she has come to this decision. Gayatri falls in love with Raj and Raj with her, but she rejects his proposal because she DOESN’T BELIEVE IN MARRIAGE. She wasn’t playing coy. This is the moment where heart-broken Raj finally understands what all the women in his life have been going through and goes to apologize.

Now, while he’s gone, we’re supposed to believe that Gayatri changes her mind. This is the most unbelievable part of the plot for me. Why does Gayatri change her mind? She’s not the immature “killer” that Raj was – the man who can’t commit because there is always a greener pature. What changes her mind to accept that there is room in her life for another person? We never find out.

I really, really enjoyed this film. The message was wonderful and far from the macho image that the title song puts forward. The music and the picturizations were great, as was the acting and dancing. I think Ranbir has a great career as a hero in front of him and Bipasha proved that she’s more than just a hot body. It’s too bad Deepika didn’t have more to do; I hope Chandni Chowk to China will give her more of an opportunity to stretch her acting wings. [Filmi Girl, again! See how long ago this was - I was still willing to cut Deepika some benefit of the doubt. Haters in line behind me - the girl can't act.]

5 comments:

shell said...

I liked this movie too, and Bipasha's was also my favorite of the three stories. I love how she was so deliciously cruel to him. I'm not sure if I would have forgiven the cad that left me at the alter ever.
Jogi Mahi is one of my very favorite songs. I think it's about the #5 listened to song on my ipod. Plus, I love the whole wedding picturization (how could you not?)
As for Deepika, I honestly didn't mind her in OSO, but I can take or leave her. However, I love reading what you have to say about her. I still remember the dental floss comment!

Anita said...

I thought Deepika was wonderful in this movie, same as in Love Aaj Kal. I was never willing to put myself through Chandni Chowk to China, so I don't know about that one, but still...she can act! (At least as much as Katrina can "act", so the level of talent we're talking about isn't that high, but it's still there...)

Also, I know everyone loved Bipasha's story and her role, but I seriously thought hers was the most boring. Minissha had fun start and a nice family-oriented second part, Deepika was an interesting character in the beginning of her part and gave us a nice happy ending. Bips was just filler for me, and I do like her and was looking forward to her part, so I was disappointed. :(

But I know I'm in the minority on that, which I still can't comprehend. No matter how many times I see this movie, my opinion stays the same.

Filmi Girl said...

@shell I love Johi Mahi! The whole soundtrack was good. :)

@Anita We will never agree on this!! LOL! I think the biggest difference between Katrina and Deepika in terms of acting abilities (for me, at least) is that Katrina knows how to appear present in the moment where with Deepika, I always get the sense that somebody is over her shoulder yelling "look left... now pause... okay... stop there and look at the Hero."

Fleur said...

Am I the only one who disliked this movie through and through, except the super-awesome Bipasha (<3!) in revenge-bitch mode.

I thought Raj was a cad and horribly misogynist (infact the whole film is), can't imagine a level-headed girl like Gayatri (played by a quite cringe-worthy Deepika) fall for him and even change her mind about marriage out-of-the-blue (it doesn't matter what women say, they all just want to marry a jerk!)

But, regardless of the movie I must agree with you guys on the love for "Jogi Mahi", it's wonderful, the whole album is (S-E-L-love!), except "Lucky Boy" which is simply ugh.

Anita said...

Yes, you're right, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this Deepika vs. Katrina thing. ;) But I do feel the need to mention that I strangely found Bipasha's story boring and everyone I've heard from, I mean EVERYONE, liked that story the best. I just don't understand it!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl