Friday, October 2, 2009

Wake Up Sid & Do Knot Disturb - which will you see?!

Apparently, Bollywood does not really make masala films anymore – remakes of southern films, like Wanted and Ghajini, are the exception.

In that vein, of the two films opening this weekend, one is a straight-up comedy and the other is a coming-of-age film.

The comedy, by David Dhawan, is guaranteed to be a hit in on the single screens and the coming-of-age story should do well in multiplexes.

Wake Up Sid stars Ranbir Kapoor and Konkona Sen Sharma as a young couple finding their way in life.

Do Knot Disturb stars Govinda being wacky! It's Govinda No. 1!!!!

And my favorite second banana Ritesh Deshmukh!

Wake Up Sid has Koko and Ranbir in naturalistic costumes and sets...

Do Knot Disturb lends new meaning to the word "garish."

Wake Up Sid has an actress who can, you know, ACT.

Do Knot Disturb stars Lara Dutta and Sushmita Sen.

Well, those of you who know my tastes can probably figure out which one I want to see...

GOVINDA No. 1!!!!!

I'm just a sucker for an over-the-top comedy and Hollywood magazine Variety agrees with me!

To call Do Knot Disturb uneven is to misunderstand how Bollywood works: Jokes are prolonged, sequences are stretched to the point of snapping, and verisimilitude is a vice.

Damn straight, Variety! You totally get it!

The New York Times had humorless Rachel Saltz on the job.

Vulgar, noisy and excessive, Do Knot Disturb is a Bollywood sex farce with almost no sex, and comedy pitched so low you’re more likely to groan than giggle. Don’t say the movie doesn’t warn you: within the first few minutes, you’re treated to a man grunting on a toilet. Like so much in Do Knot Disturb — beginning but not ending with that K in “knot” — it has no reason to be.

Beeyatch should be reading Variety! (And don't you know that numerology dictates titles?!)

On the other side of the world, the Economic Times enjoys the story of a "rich but irresponsible boy" becoming a man because of the "simple dialogues" and "slow pacing." While NDTV faults the film for the same qualities - adding that one never really feels that Sid has anything at stake.

So, which one are you going to see?!


12 comments:

Emily said...

Probably neither -- no time or money for movies this weekend -- but if I had to choose I think my dislike of Ranbir Kapoor and "serious movies" would lead me to Govinda instead. :-D

eliza bennet said...

If I had the chance then I'd go to Govinda despite not really liking Ritesh that much, I like Ranbir even less.

Filmi Girl said...

Dang! It looks like my formatting is off... I'll try to fix it.

Yay!!! Two votes for Govinda No. 1!!! Great minds think alike, LOL!

Anita said...

Since you know my tastes, you know I'd go for Wake Up Sid. I adore Konkona like nobody's business and as an Indian I can say that I think Indian comedies are just beyond ridiculous. :P

Sujal said...

I probably won't get to see either this weekend, but if I could, I'd definitely go with DKD.

Unrelated to this... am I the only one out here that's seen Fox? Just curious. I might be in the minority, but I didn't really mind it...

Filmi Girl said...

@anita I think we're usually on opposite sides of the fence... :D

@sujal I haven't seen Fox - that was the Arjun Rampal movie, right?

Sujal said...

Yep. Arjun Rampal/Sunny Deol and a couple unimpressive actresses. Especially Udita Goswami... hate her.

Movie was alright... not as much "dishoom-dishoom" as you'd expect from a Sunny Deol film. More suspense-ish in nature.

myrna_nora said...

I don't have the time to see either this weekend, but I would choose Wake Up Sid. DKD looks a little too OVER-THE-TOP for my taste. I would still like to see both eventually.

bollyviewer said...

Me for Wake Up Sid - I adore Konkona and may even get to like Ranbir eventually. Govinda's movies are strictly avoid-yaar for me - so I wont ever see it (I hope!).

simran said...

Wake Up Sid all the way! I love Koko and I'm starting to grow on Ranbir :D Even though he has horrible taste in women lol :P

Sat_hi_sh said...

"Wake up Sid" wud be my choice :)
Yup masala movies are losing out their favour ,which is gr8 news :)

btw my blog is also about movies yaar ,i wud be gald if you cud drop by & leave ur comments :)

Being a movie bluff ,i really love ur blog
u have a new follower


keep blogging
cheers!!!!

Filmi Girl said...

@sat_hi_sh Welcome to the blog! But if you think I'm praising the lack of masala in films now, you'd be wrong. It's one of reasons I've started watching more south Indian films - I love masala.

If I want a coming-of-age film, I can see plenty of those in English...

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl