Saturday, October 17, 2009

Saaaaaaaturday!

Good morning!! I was up way too late catching a show of Blue! My write-up to come soon but the short review is - Blue: Like Race but with Akshay.

* Over at Behind Woods, Pratap writes an ignorant blog post hoping for thin to be in in Tamil cinema.

We have graduated from the flabby Kushboo to the rotund Jyothika to the super slim Shriya, Asin and Trisha. And before I forget, Simran falls somewhere in between. All these times our excuses have been that we like our heroines to be healthy. Healthy? On what counts? Definitely their body mass is not a proof of their healthiness.

So now, healthy heroines who are not slim need to starve themselves to fit into your ideals? This column made me very angry - if body mass is not a proof of healthiness, then why are you using it as a proof of attractiveness?

This is the kicker, though.

It’s probably atrocious to write in length about how we like our women, but let’s face the fact. Barring a few movies, by and large all of them have women only for their glamour quotient - supposedly to spice up the plot and provide the quintessential female lead to the story.

So... it's okay to insist that all actresses are ultra thin because they are only in the movie for glamour and thin is "glamourous?"

I'm annoyed and it's only 9am.

* Read about the man who won the BollyStar contest!!

In July, Agrawal entered the Bollystar contest hosted by Saavn, a digital provider of Bollywood content online, and Farmers State Insurance. Agrawal was planning to sing a cover into a Web cam as required for the contest, but a co-worker urged him to film a low-budget music video instead out on the Santa Monica pier. That's her in the sari in the entertaining video...

7 comments:

shell said...

Wah Wah! Agrawal is amazing plus I really like that song. Good for him for winning!

Can't wait to see your write up on Blue.

simran said...

Don't worry FilmiGirl, I'm annoyed too...I can't believe anyone would write anything like that! I don't want other heroines to feel insecure, especially to look "thin". What has that gotten us anyways? Deepika Padukone? I hope someone eggs his house. -.-

Anonymous said...

I have not read the article in question, but he seems to be saying that anyway we southies dont respect the heroines, that we objectify them. So why not have slim heroines?

Confession time - as southies, we dig females with flesh on their bones - especially around the hips and thighs but Namitha IS a bit too safely on the chubby side. :)

Anonymous said...

ok read the article now. He is not personally asking for chubby actresses to go away. What he is saying is, if the present trend continues, Namitha will be an endangered spieces even in Tamil movies. :)

Filmi Girl said...

@anonymous Really? I don't see that interpretation. The way it reads to me is that he wants chubby heroines to go away and is happy that the trend is going that way.

memsaab said...

Ha ha! Love the video, especially the gori who looks very uncomfortable (btw she's wearing a salwar kameez not a sari ;-). He does have a lovely voice!

Filmi Girl said...

@memsaab Too true!! I guess I'm so used to clueless white folk writing articles that I didn't pick up on the misidentification of her clothes... ;D

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl