Saturday, October 10, 2009

Positive Body Image!

So, if you've been reading me for a while, then you know I am a big proponent of seeing a variety of healthy body types on screen - from the naturally slim Zeenat Aman to the naturally curvy Sridevi. An actress's worth shouldn't be measured by how little she weighs and the size zero model/actresses cluttering up my movie screen recently make me depressed on a number of different levels - not in the least because their major qualification for "acting" seems to be the ability to show off their ribs in a bikini - and, yes, I'm talking Deepika Padukone, Mugdha Godse, and Lara Dutta among others.

Keeping that in mind, I've done a guest post over at The F Word - a body acceptance blog that I enjoy reading!

Take a read and let me know what you think!

I began watching Bollywood movies about 10 years ago. Amidst the colorful songs and costumes and dramatic storylines, I began to realize something else that appealed to me about these movies - the actresses were all of normal and healthy weights. By “normal weight,” I don’t mean Hollywood normal, I mean real life normal. From Madhuri Dixit, whose ample thighs supported her beautiful dancing to Kajol’s sturdy tomboyish frame to Karishma Kapoor’s gawky slimness, the actresses all appeared healthy and well nourished. Being beautiful included a variety of different weights and shapes and sizes, rather than a single hard-to-achieve standard.

Yet, something disturbing has happened over the last few years, the variety is disappearing and in its place has taken root something very familiar - the new global standard of beauty.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good article. I'm sick of hearing about and seeing the skinny minnies (Priyanka, Deepika, Kareena, etc.).

I want to see women with curves not a bag of bones in BW. Most of them look silly dancing because you need hips to move which they don't have so all you see if jerking around instead of graceful swaying.

shell said...

Great article!!! I agree that there is way too much emphasis on being skinny over here, it is very sad to see such a thing (which is not at all healthy as you said) spreading to the Bollywood industry. It is groteque to see ribs poking through on anyone. Certainly the Indian public, just like anywhere else, have better things for their youth (and females in particular) to worry about other than fitting into "skinny" jeans.

Filmi Girl said...

Thanks!! It is definitely something that has been bothering me - especially since it seems like the industry is changing overnight with the new size zero requirement... :(

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl