Sunday, October 4, 2009

Kurbaan - First Look!


Kurbaan - formerly Jihad - will be releasing at the end of November. It's been mired in scandals, from the bills left unpaid after shooting in Philadelphia to the rumors of steamy love scenes between Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan.

Now that the trailer has been released, I have to say that I'm looking forward to this one a lot more than I was before.

So - at this point I'm going to assume we're all familiar with the basic premise: Saif is a terrorist.

Here are some stills taken from the trailer!



Bebo and Saifu should have cute chemistry - they were kind of a dud together in Tashan but that might be because of the characters rather than the actors.


I'm going to go on record liking EVIL SAIF a lot more than NRI SAIF. Don't get me wrong - Hum Tum was cute but at the end of the day Ek Hasina Thi is the better performance.

Plus, doesn't his goatee just scream: EVIL!!!! Would you trust a man with this facial hair?


I have a feeling we'll see Bebo go from trusting to disillusioned and it will be awesome! I do love me some Bebo main Bebo...


VIVEEEEEEK! I am really looking forward to the return of Vivek Oberoi! I have no idea about his character, though. Do we all know that this hottie jihadi turned vegetarian while shooting for Kurbaan?! Bebo's good influence at work!!

11 comments:

Sujal said...

Doesn't the trailer kinda remind you of Fanaa?

Not that it's a bad thing or anything... but seriously, we just had Fanaa.

memsaab said...

Saif's best role ever was in Omkara---as the evil Langda! So yeah, with you on the evil Saif love (although I loved him in Hum Tum and Parineeta too---but the argument could be made that he wasn't an entirely nice guy in either of those roles either)...

:)

Filmi Girl said...

@sujal But I loved Fanaa enough to want to watch Fanaa 2: Kurbaan!! The similarities were part of what impressed me about the trailer. :D

@memsaab Hee! We are definitely thinking along the same lines... ;D The difference for me is that NRI Saif is always so boyishly immature where Evil Saif is much more grown-up and in control...

Anonymous said...

I'm sick of glossy movies on terrorism. I hated New York which was did not portray the city realistically before, during or after 9/11.

Fanaa was a piece of crap especially the blindness track and the nuclear detonator story.

I wish BW would find some other stories to exploit. Terrorism is too serious a subject to be making stupid movies on the topic.

Piyush Patel said...

Evil Saif is a lot more interesting to me as well. Two of my favorite roles of his were in Omkara and Ek Hasina Thi.That said, the traier for Kurbaan does seem a bit dull in my opinion.

simran said...

OHMYGOSH!!!! Vivek looks amazing :D I'm excited to see his part more than anything ... :)

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with simran. I am more excited about Vivek being in this movie. evil saif is awesome! kareena looks pretty and natural but i want to know what vivek's role in the story is!!!

eliza bennet said...

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like Vivek. His acting is so intense on purpose (in Company and Saathiya) that it irritates me. I'm always tense watching him and not in a good way.

As for Kurbaan I'm all for it. Yes terrorism is a very very serious subject as is murder, rape, racism, politics, religion, incest and such. I think films should be made on all subjects, if a filmmaker wants to make it then he/she should be able to film it. It is the viewers' choice whether to see it or not.

I liked Fanaa much better at the second viewing. If Kurbaan is anything like it then I'm there.

Evil Saif all the way.

Filmi Girl said...

@Eliza Aw! You don't like Vivek? I think he's sweet - I like his intensity... :)

And I think Bollywood should be making films about terrorism - at least as far as I've seen, it's not romanticized or anything and is usually shown as being really tragic AND in not accomplishing anything.

What about Black and White - did anyone see that? Or Kabul Express?

Unlike Hollywood, which seems to avoiding our tough problems here in the States, it's nice to see Bollywood tackling what it can using its own special filter.

Of course, New York wasn't 100% realistic - nothing is 100% realistic except documentaries. Film and narratives have always artificially created realities - the difference is that now some people expect that artifice to perfectly mimic reality when in the past they were smart enough to separate mythos from logos.

Emily said...

Oh my gosh how awesome is that trailer? I can't wait to see Kurbaan now! I love Evil!Saif and Kareena when she's not playing a glamour-girl, and Fanaa is still my favorite movie ever, so this looks right up my alley!

simran said...

FilmiGirl: I adored Kabul Express! I can watch it over and over again...And not only because it was a John Abraham movie. I thought it was amazing and the whole concept was really really good. Well, I think I know what I'm going to watch this weekend! :D

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl