Saturday, October 17, 2009

All the Best: Solid Comedy!

I wish I could find some other production stills from All the Best: Fun Begins but this one will have to do.

All the Best: Fun Begins is a Rohit Shetty film starring Ajay Devgan, which should tell you all you need to know about whether you will enjoy it or not. I, for one, enjoy the Rohit Shetty genre immensely. All the Best: Fun Begins never quite scales the wacky heights of his other films but it doesn’t have any dull patches, either. Where Sunday and Golmaal Returns lurched around from hilarious to boring, All the Best stays at a nice steady level of mild amusement.

Ajay Devgan and Fardeen Khan play a couple of best friends who are allergic to hard work when it means a 9-to-5 job but enjoy hatching elaborate and expansive schemes that usually involve some sort of large financial payoff that never seems to ever, well, pay out. In All the Best, they get on the wrong side of a really tough gangster, Tobu (Johnny Lever), who can communicate only through – and this is both important and hilarious - tapping a spoon against a glass just like Sir Judah in Karz. The comic potential in this set-up is large and well exploited. Plus, Johnny Lever is a lot less annoying and a lot more funny when he can’t talk.

The plot really isn’t worth recounting – needless to say, it’s very silly and convoluted and kind of pointless but nobody watches a Rohit Shetty film for the plot – it’s all about getting good performances. Ajay Devgan and Bipasha Basu are simply wonderful. There is nothing quite like watching a couple of seasoned professionals doing what they do well and Ajay and Bips effortlessly sail through All the Best, generating some pretty good chemistry and adding emotional resonance at all the correct locations. Fardeen is acceptable as Ajay’s foil although he is nowhere near the partner that Shreyas Talpade was in Golmaal Returns. Sanju-baba is much more present than in Blue and does a fine job just being Sanjay Dutt. Mugdha Ghodse is lost in the shuffle as Fardeen’s girlfriend. She actually disappears from the story for large chunks of time but nobody misses her.

One thing I really liked about All the Best was the prominence of Ashwini Kalsekar as Maid Mary. While these types of comedies always feature a variety of comedic support players, they very rarely include a woman, so I was pleased to see the hilarious Ms. Kalsekar as the dopey maid.

There isn’t much else to say – the songs were great and full of energy; Ajay and Bips looked great; Johnny Lever was hilarious; it’s a Rohit Shetty film!

And for the curious, here is what I’m talking about with the Ajay/Bipasha chemistry.

The song is “Martaba” and just watch the difference between the easy chemistry of Bips and Ajay and the amateur-hour posing from Fardeen and Mugdha.

4 comments:

simran said...

I'm so excited to watch this! It's about time Johnny Lever came back with a bang .. :D Ohh I'm so excited! So far I have loved all of Rohit Shetty's films. I'm a huge fan of Ajay so I'm sure I'll love it anyways :)

Filmi Girl said...

Yes! If you like Ajay and Rohit Shetty, you will enjoy this. :)

Nicki said...

Yah, I can't wait! Bips!

Anonymous said...

I must say I am very impressed that Rohit Shetty's brand of comedy comes across to a non-native like you. :) He makes such a lot of filmi jokes, puns and references that I automatically assumed that it doesn't translate well. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl