Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wednesday Update!!

Good morning, all! We're halfway through another week... time just keeps speeding along...

Anyways, let's see what is happening in Tinsel Town!

* Katrina Kaif and Sonam Kapoor are both up for a Bolly version of Alice in Wonderland. This is either going to be awesome or awful - I can't decide.

* Poor Asin is in the hospital with something that is either a sinus condition or "exhaustion." Or maybe both. She could probably use a rest! Get well soon, Asin!

* Ramya was booted from the film she was working on!!! If you remember, she had some harsh words for the choreographer that had got her banned by the Karnataka Dancers Association - she apologized but she's now off the film.

* Everybody is praising Salman Khan for Wanted, but how about the National Award Winning Prakash Dad, who played the villain?!

* John Abraham and Akshay Kumar are doing an action film!!!!

* This article from the Wall Street Journal kind of got me all steamed up. The author seeks to explain Amit Khanna's Big Entertainment's business strategy. Big Entertainment, as you may or may not know, is the company producing Kites.

Well, as the article explains, Big Entertainment is trying to make global movies using Hollywood business techniques. "Unlike those awful native films" is the not so subtle subtext pervading the entire piece.

Here's a gem - The Indian movie business has long been dominated by mom-and-pop shops that make films without the budgets, schedules or story boards that are the norm in the U.S. industry.

Really? (As Amy Poehler would say.) Really?

So... you think that producers in Mumbai just throw a bunch of money and some dancers in a studio and Ghajini comes out?

Well, what is Big Entertainment going to do differently?

In contrast, Big Entertainment is embracing the Hollywood modus operandi of big budgets, publicity spending and wide distribution. The company is shopping Bollywood films around at film festivals at an unprecedented rate.

Because that worked so well for Chandni Chowk to China and Saawariya?

The article also breathlessly explains how there are going to be two versions of Kites - one with songs and one without. I know Gurinder Chadha did two versions of Bride and Prejudice but I think that was more a matter of run time than fear that westerners would think songs were silly.

All I know is that when I see Kites, I want to see Kites with the songs. Otherwise, what was the point of making Hrithik a salsa instructor if we don't get to see him dance?

The whole thing just has a feeling of DOOOOOOOOOOM about it.

Let's go out with some happy thoughts, hmmm?


Twinkle and Akshay Kumar on the cover of L'Offiel!

8 comments:

Faizan said...

I am almost as pissed as you are about that article. On one side, America is embracing Bollywood big time after Slumdog and on the other, majority still think of our entertainment industry as a joke.

Filmi Girl said...

@Faizan That article was insulting - especially since Hollywood has been in more and more financial trouble from exactly the business practices they are advising!! Hollywood has embraced this "blockbuster" mentality that says throw a bunch of money and saturate the market with a film like Transformers aimed at 13 year old boys and hope they all end up going 20 times.

Sure, it works once in a while but for every Transformers or Iron Man that makes bank - there are dozens of expensive films that flop miserably.

Who is to say that the "mom-and-pop" style doesn't work better? Bollywood is doing just fine without American business practices.

Anonymous said...

That article has such a condescending tone. It is a bad marketing strategy too. If they keep on insulting bollywood filmmaking, how can they expect bollywood fans to come & watch their 'superior' movie in the theaters?

Kiran.

myrna_nora said...

What a nasty condescending article. I was looking forward to Kites but the more they push their agenda: made for "audiences outside of India," the more leery I am of the production. And if Hrithik does not dance then I boycott!

Filmi Girl said...

@kiran and myrna_nora That article did nobody any favors. It made Bollywood films sound stupid - so why would anyone want to purchase and distribute a Bollywood film from this company, then? The whole thing makes no sense.

And I absolutely refuse to watch Kites without songs - so they can count me out of any "international" release audience. ;P

moviemeh said...

...the foreign version of the film has chopped out all the song and dance sequences that are hallmarks of traditional Bollywood productions. (The numbers will be included in the Indian version.)

That is laughable on so many levels, even on the level that the article writer seems to get that the picturizatons are the HALLMARK of Bollywood. Why would foreigners want to see Bollywood without the Bollywood?

You made me dig up this great quote from Amitabh Bachchan: "But no, I am not making my film to cater to the sensibilities of 'gora log'. "

moviemeh said...

It would be different if they were making the next Omkara, which iirc never had picturizations and is an awesome movie. But they want to show me a Bollywood movie, and then tell me there is a premium version of the movie that I shouldn't see because I am a Westerner? Kya discrimination hai!

By the way, I am getting some really apt verification words on my comments here. The other day I got "Sendost" (Konkona meri dost hai? Raima meri dost hai?) and now I am getting "betalike". (Bollywood is my choti maa!)

eliza bennet said...

On a more cheerful note, I'd love an action film starring Akshay and John. I know I love him and everything but objectively Akshay is the only actor I in Bollywood who handles action scenes decently (of course no comparison to east Asian and/or Thai martial actors) and I liked John very much in Dhoom, although he was laughably funny in the action scenes of Paap - so need to add a motorbike in the desert and try to make him give up his Zoolander looks.
We know he can act when directed well.

And despite the fact that Akshay and John didn't work for me in Garam Masala (which was more of an Akshay Paresh film anyway) I'm eager to see them - all the hotness!

I hope Blue does great box office!

And how lovely Akshay looks on the cover.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl