Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Top 10 Reasons to Love Akshay Kumar

I'm slowly in the process of transferring over my old entries, and I thought this one would be appropriate for today!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AKKI!

Here is the original post:

With the upcoming Chandni Chowk to China bringing the Akshay Kumar promotional pictures faster than I can swoon over them, I thought it was time for my Top 10 of Akshay Kumar sponsored by the Akshay No. 1 Ladies Fan Club. (T-shirts coming soon… who wants one?)

#10 Chocolate Box Hero

One of Akshay’s recent incarnations has been as a chocolate box hero, not a noteworthy role in and of itself. Still, Akki manages to knock it out of the park with a little something extra – charisma. He is masculine, yet never grossly macho and he remains unafraid to play second fiddle to an actress (Namastey London) or to play the straight man to comic mayhem (Welcome) or to star opposite the prettiest man in Bollywood: John Abraham (Garam Masala).

#9 He married Twinkle.

Although he married into a filmi family, it doesn’t take away from his achievement of making it in the business as an outsider. Marrying Twinkle Khanna accomplished two things for which the Bollywood viewing community will always remain grateful – a) Twinkle dresses him, which means he is always looking sharp and b) Twinkle no longer acts.

#8 The Rise!

Who ever thought that the same young guy who starred in Mr. Bond would end up one of the top stars in Bollywood? It’s been told time and time again but it bears repeating that Akshay Kumar is not from a filmi family. He’s reached the top using his own talent, smarts, and charisma! In an industry still so heavily driven by family ties, breaking in as a total outsider is quite an achievement and he deserves every ounce of praise for doing it. As much as I love my Saif Ali Khan (Sharmila Tagore’s son), Hrithik Roshan (Rakesh Roshan’s son), Aamir Khan (Nasir Hussain’s nephew), and other assorted heroes, the energy of an actor who had to claw his way from the bottom is captivating in it’s intensity – just look at Shahrukh Khan or even Amitabh Bachchan to an extent.

#7 He is smoking hot.

Do I need to say more? Unlike some muscle-bound Bollywood actors who shall remain nameless, Akki has not only kept in shape, he’s managed to stay graceful and flexible…and I believe that is still his real hair.
(Also, I like to imagine that all the scarves he’s been wearing lately are to cover up the hickeys… from his many lady-fans!)

#6 The Comedian

From Hera Pheri with Paresh Rawal and Suneil Shetty in 2000, Akshay has proven time and again that he has great comic timing. His chocolate box hero has him playing the straight man more often these days but I’ll take Akshay in Bhagam Bhag with Govinda or the wacky ghostbusting Akki in Bhool Bhuliya over his strong, silent type character anyday. Something about his good looks and ability to project massive confidence makes it that much funnier when he does really stupid stuff.
And this has to be one of the best parodies of the “Hero Song” EVER in Bollywood…

#5 The Khiladis

While the Khiladi movies didn’t always make for the most compelling viewing, Akshay’s Khiladi avatar, on the other hand, remains a compelling part of his persona. Unlike other tough guys, who nothing more than a muscle-bound torso minus a shirt – and their hair – Akki’s Khiladi always had a soft, emotional center… something for the ladies (and select gentlemen) to relate to. The Khiladi persona is so much a part of the Public Face of Akshay Kumar, that Farah Khan used it in her tribute film to Bollywood - Om Shanti Om!
Remember Return of Khiladi? The Khiladi avatar is seen time and time again – to good effect in Mujhse Shaadi Karogi, Tashan, Singh is Kinng, and Khakee… not to mention his reality show: Khatron Ka Khiladi.

#4 Jaan-e-Maan

Not only would most A-list heroes balk at playing second fiddle to Salman Khan, there is no way most heroes would play a SUPER-NERDY second fiddle to Salman Khan. Yet, Jaan-e-Maan has Akki doing just that. Imagine Aamir in this role or Shahrukh… it just doesn’t work. They don’t have that chameleon-like ability to melt into a role like the nerdy astronaut Akshay plays. This is just one of many roles in recent years where Akshay has really proven his acting chops. He sells it. Big time. The tough Khiladi who can beat up 7 ninjas at a time can also be a sensitive scientist. Who knew?

#3 Tashan

All the Akshays come together in Tashan - the comedian, the Khiladi, the sensitive romantic, the scrapper… Tashan is an Akshay tour-de-force, which is maybe (okay, probably) why I loved it so much. From Bachchan Pande’s entrance on the motorbike to his emotional reunion with Pooja, Akshay Kumar is the entire film. You can’t take your eyes off of him.

#2 Khakee

This was the film that really proved to me that Akshay Kumar was not only a ‘hero’ but also an actor, one capable of a full range of emotions and, more importantly, bringing the audience along with him in that full range of emotions. His character starts out as a parody of his Khiladi avatar and slowly morphs into a real human being. Plus, he has amazing chemistry with Aishwarya, which is a feat! She is not easy to sizzle with…

#1 Kin(n)g Kumar

If all goes the way the Akshay No. 1 Ladies Fan Club hopes, Chandni Chowk to China will be a huge hit and prove that Akshay Kumar is the reigning king of the box office. If not, well… he had an amazing 2007 and 2008 at the top! Akshay makes all the hard work seem effortless but those of us who are well-versed in the celebrity tell-all autobiography know how difficult it really is to make it to the top and stay there. How many flavor of the week chocolate box heroes have come and gone in the years Akshay Kumar has been in the business?
Even if Akki does stay Kinng of the Box Office after Chandni Chowk to China, he realistically only has a few years left as a hero. Where will he go next? I have no doubts that he could easily morph into Anil Kapoor territory, doing character roles and the occasional villain. Talent will have out and I hope Akshay will be gracing my cinema screen for years to come!

10 comments:

eliza bennet said...

Akshay's acting is so earnest I can't help but be moved even when he is not good.

The film that made me love Akshay is Namastey London. I didn't know he is a huge star and I loved that character and how earnestly he acts it out.

Another thing I like about Akshay is that he nevers phones in. He is always there 100% whether the role is big or small. Even when the performance is awfully bad (Waqt and Ek Rishta comes to mind) he gives his best and I love him for that.

Also he genuinely makes me laugh (I don't really like comedy and seen more than I normally would just because Akshay is in them).

Filmi Girl said...

@Eliza I agree! His acting is really earnest and I think that is part of what makes him so appealing. :)

You know, Namastey London was the first film that I took him seriously in, too! I think he won a lot of new fans with that... :)

moviemeh said...

You don't know how timely this post is. I have been wondering why the heck I should love Akshay Kumar. I didn't care for Tashan at all, but maybe I'll like him in Khakee. And Bhool Bhulaiyaa is already on my Vidya Balan list to see.

Filmi Girl said...

@moviemeh Hee! I'm so glad! You should try Khakee... :) He's really good in that one.

(And sorry about the formatting I just noticed it's a bit messed up - I'll try to fix it later!)

shell said...

I admit I haven't seen very much of Akshay, but I'm compiling a list of his very best to take with me next movie shopping spree. What would your fav 5 picks be.

Filmi Girl said...

@Shell Ooo! Top 5... hmmm

I would go with:

#1 Tashan -> masala
#2 Jaan-e-Mann -> meta-romance
#3 Khakee -> cop drama
#4 Hera Pheri -> comedy
#5 Namastey London -> straight-up romance

Bhargav Saikia said...

Man you love Akshay so much! I'm not a AK fan at all, but yeah he does have a lot of Tashan! Looking forward to BLUE!!!

Filmi Girl said...

@Bhargav Saikia I do really <3 Akki! Hee hee! I've seen him in person once and I almost literally swooned... just ask Beth Loves Bollywood! ;)

Blue is going to be extremely entertaining! I can't wait!

Tady said...

I only need one reason to LOVE this man...Tashan!!!!...this was the first bollywood film i ever saw on the big screen...and that was all i needed to become a die hard akki fan!!!!

PS...thank you for putting up Tashan as a reason to love him...just because i know ALOT of people who bash on that film but i just can't help but love it even more...


---Tady

I think therefor I am said...

I agree with you, Tashan is one of favorite, if not favorite Akki movie.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl