Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunnnnnday! News! Gossip!

Good morning, all!!!

You'll be pleased to note that my review of the London Dreams soundtrack is posted. I have discovered that I really, really like reviewing soundtrack albums. It's fun to try and describe music in words... all my musicians training comes back to me.

I spent yesterday evening watching the super-fun Telugu film Varsham starring PRABHAS and Trisha - and yes, Prabhas does have to bust out a roundhouse kick to the face on some suckers. Seriously, you guys, Prabhas is a capital "H" Hero, the likes of which haven't been seen around Mumbai since the 1990s. You know, he reminds me the most of Hrithik Roshan but without Hrithik's recent insistence on doing "arty" movies. Prabhas is a super-FLY dancer, can romance the pants off of any Heroine, can convincingly go Chuck Norris on groups of up to 12 bad guys, and remains likable the entire time. Plus, he seems to have more than 2 brain cells to rub together - unlike certain Bollywood Heroes who shall remain nameless. Write up of Varsham to be coming soon!

Okay, maybe you didn't read my review of Dil Bole Hadippa yesterday to avoid spoilers but let me say this: It's a fun romantic comedy but it's definitely a chick flick. So, where are all the reviewers standing up and saying this?

Instead, I keep running across all these reviews that seem to be holding the film to a totally different standard. Obviously if you compare it to Chak De as a sports film, it will fall flat. Do you know why? (Hint - because Dil Bole Hadippa isn't a sports film - it's a rom-com.)

Rajeev Masand called it a boring and unimaginative comedy. Um, dude - perhaps you thought so because you weren't the target audience for Shahid's v-neck t-shirts or Rani's taboo chemistry with Rakhi Sawant. When you aren't watching for the rom part of the rom-com, then of course it will all fly over your head.

Like I said in my review, there was a reason that not a single straight man was sitting in my theatre unaccompanied by his wife and kids when I watched the film. They were all across the hall in Wanted.

And let's move on to GOSSIP!!!!

* Some cruel twist of fate has Akshaye Khanna (yes, you read that correctly - not Mr. Kumar) attempting hand-to-hand combat against Ajay Devgan. I'll wait for you to clean up the coffee I'm assuming you spit out upon reading that.... Akshaye Khanna trying to keep up with Ajay Devgan is something I know I want to see!

Actually, the movie itself sounds pretty good - an inter-caste love story (I'm assuming not between Ajay/Akshaye, although that could be interesting) set in Bihar and also starring Bips and Paresh Rawal. Although how they are going to try and make Akshaye look like he's "fighting" will be pretty entertaining - I'm imagining lots of quick cuts to Ajay Devgan rolling his eyes as he takes out a couple of suckas while waiting for Akshaye to catch up.

* India's official entry to The Oscars is going to be a Marathi film called Harishchandrachi Factory. (My vote so far for the Official Filmi Girl Movie of 2009 -> Billa!!!!!!)

* Speaking of The Oscars, Oscar Award winning soundtracker A.R. Rahman is apparently doing the music for the crappy-looking un-funny American comedy Couples Retreat. Yes, Rahman is using his talents to score a film that appears to be the cinematic equivalent of all those sitcoms which feature a hot wife nagging her schlubby husband. Sweet.

* Harman and Priyanka talk to CNN-IBN about What's Your Rashee!

[Explaining that he and his character have the same sun sign.]

Harman Baweja: Actually I didn't even know that Yogesh's raashee was Scorpio till I read the full script. So, I can relate a lot to Yogesh Patel, there are a lot of similarities between him and me.

LOL!!! Oh, Harman, still trying to grab some cinematic relevance. So, what exactly are the similarities? You both play second fiddle to Priyanka Chopra? He never actually explains that part.

* The Business Standard lays out the cost of some of the films to be releasing in the next few months and they range from Rs. 45 crore for Aladin to Rs. 90 crore for My Name is Khan.

3 comments:

rhilex said...

(I'm assuming not between Ajay/Akshaye, although that could be interesting) No dear, THAT is where I spit out my drink. XD Now, THERE'S a movie I'd go see! ;)

Btw, do they show subtitles for Bollywood movies played in US theatres? :S

Filmi Girl said...

For Bollywood films - yes - for South Indian films - no. :)

rhilex said...

YES!! There is hope for life!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl