Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday News Update!!

So... Aziz Ansari was hilarious last night. I highly recommend anyone who enjoys comedy go and see his live shows. At one point, I was laughing so hard at that I actually had tears coming down my face. Yes. What was really interesting to me was that he had appropriated a few of his jokes that he did as "Randy" from Funny People into his actual set as Aziz - just minus the dances that "Randy" always did with them. To be fair, they were pretty good jokes.

The downside of the Aziz show was his awful opening act Dan Levy, who seemed like he would be more at home in a frat house telling jokes to drunk 20 year olds than to a crowd of people who think jokes about epic battles on twitter and references to Modest Mouse are the height of hilarity. And it's not that I just didn't think Dan Levy wasn't funny (which he wasn't), I hated his whole shtick - he was one of those guys who thinks that he was "oppressed" because no cheerleader would date him in high school. You know the type. And all of his jokes had this bitter, bullying edge - as if because he's not Brad Pitt, the rest of the world has to pay for it.

There was one joke Dan Levy told about how "great" it would be to be the cop whose job it is is to investigate strip clubs and as part of it he tells us a conversation he had with a stripper. Now, as this was going on, my first thought was "(aspiring comedy writer) Anglotastic would hate this" followed by "he's totally afraid of women and it's pathetic." Later, when discussing it with my sister, who was also at the show, she said, "I kept thinking about that poor stripper. If I saw some nice young men come into the strip club, I might think 'maybe they'll like me' but you know this guy would never look at the stripper like a person."

And that sums him up. He totally alienated at least half of his audience. Ladies enjoy comedy, too, Dan, so either stick to the frat house circuit or get some better jokes.

Anyways, enough about d-bag comedians! Let's talk gossip!

* Stardust reports a sequel to No Entry with Sallu in a double role!

* Glamsham seems to think that the "Hrithik clone" tag is off of Harman Baweja. Okay, fine. But the only reason for that is that Hrithik is a billion times more handsome and talented than Harman, so he was really never a "clone" per se. Let's just all agree to call him a Hrithik knock-off and call it a day.

* ILOVEAKSHAYKUMAR!!!!!! I mean, Akshay Kumar is a fantastic human being. He's starting a charitable foundation for stuntmen.

* Sandalwood hottie (and friend of Filmi Girl) Diganth has been getting rave reviews for Manasaare! I can't wait to see it! Congratulations, Diganth!

* In the not so good review department, the Toronto Star has a fair assessment of What's Your Rashee - [it] sags and drags less than it ought to. But it's destined to outstay its welcome with most viewers.

I was explaining to my sister why I didn't feel it necessary to go see this in the theatres and said, "You know - it would be like watching a three and half hour romantic comedy and I just can't do that." And it's true! The whole point of the epic length masala film is that it gives you drama, romance, comedy, songs, etc. in just the right doses so that you never get too tired of any one thing. Done with Johnny Lever? Just wait a few minutes and it will switch back to Akshay kicking somebody's butt! But with a epic length rom-com.... it's just tedious after a while.

* I can't decide if this novel is going to be hilarious or tragic.

Meredith McGuire's novel, Bollywood Becomes Her presents a Westerner's take on Indian social customs through the lens of Bollywood -- not through films likeSlumdog Millionaire, but popular Bollywood hits such as Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na and Jab We Met.

This sounds like cultural tourism at its worst...


Gorgeous Rani at Durga Pooja!


Sallu walking the ramp for the brand launch of Guru.

4 comments:

Sujal said...

A sequel to No Entry?
But the first one was so bad... and Salman Khan's character was the worst.

simran said...

Yay! That is so awesome that Akki is starting a foundation for stuntment. No one has ever appreciated them and their hard work to make the heroes look good before so I think it's amazing of Akki to be doing this :D Lol, no matter how horrible some things are said about him, you just end up loving him more ! ;)

Filmi Girl, I just watched Salman Khan starrer Judwaa yesterday and it was really good! It was really cool seeing Sallu back in the day. I must say he was really adorable! xD Have you seen the movie?

Anita said...

Wait, we had a review over here in the Toronto Star? Jeez, how could I have missed that?!

You know you're way too busy when... :P

simran said...

Anita: Yeah I forgot to mention that but I didn't know the Toronto Star had reviews on Hindi movies! :O I'll be sure to check it out this time around! :D

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl