Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday!!! Gossip Update!!

Good morning!!

Before I get started, may I direct everyone to my rebuttal to that ridiculous Wall Street Journal article.

Mr. Bellman never reveals his source for this ridiculous bit of misinformation and passes it off as common knowledge. I'm sure Vishal Bhardwaj, whose film making processes were meticulously detailed in Stephen Alter's fantastic book "Fantasies of a Bollywood Love Thief", and indeed included storyboards, budgets, and schedules, would be shocked to hear that Wall Street Journal thought he made his films by throwing some glitter, dancers, and a big pile of cash in front of a video camera.

* Business of Cinema spoke to a bunch of directors about the spate of piracy that culminated in the stealing of the master print of What's Your Rashee.

* Poor Sanjay Gadhvi can't catch a break! He's going with a daring twist in his new film 7 Days in Paris - no stars. I think because he doesn't have the budget to pay anyone with a real crowd-drawing name...

* Priyanka Chopra has signed on for 7 roles in Ashutosh Gowarikar's next film. Seriously, though, Ashutosh, the 12 roles is a great gimmick but do you really need to have more than a double role in every film? Give the massive multiples a rest.

* Boney Kapoor talks about Wanted:

"Let Aditya Chopra make films for multiplexes. I'm happy reaching out to the masses."

Oooo! Burn!

* Shiney Ahuja has been sent to a hospital for his back pain. I don't like to see anybody suffer but I have to admit that I hope he is taking some time to think about what he has done wrong.

* Sonu Nigam gives an incredible interview (accompanied by the worst picture of him I've ever seen) where he talks about the lack of song quality in today's films. He sounds so bitter!

"Music composers have realised that concerts are money spinners. So they make songs that they can sing. I don't want to be part of this craziness where I am given sub-standard songs and the best are taken by the composers themselves."

* Apparently The Bad Boy of Bollywood, Salman Khan doesn't see anything wrong with celebrity designer Anand Jon - despite the fact that Anand Jon has been convicted of raping multiple women AND of something involving "lewd acts" to a child. (You can read more here.)

Salman on Anand Jon: "“I had a word with Anand and never thought he was a bad guy.”

Cool! And then you two cats can go start a boys club with Shiney Ahuja! Good times...

Let's end with something happy!!


Kajol and Shahrukh on the cover of Vogue!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your rebuttal is sooo good! Seeti & Taaliyaan! And good for Boney Kapoor. The masses need to see good masala movies too. Not everyone relates to living in palatial mansions of K.Jo's films, which i suspect even the heads of state can't afford!
Kiran

ajnabi said...

Is Star Box Office a reliable source? Shouldn't Gowariker wait till WYR flops to decide to cast Priyanka in another film?

That picture of SRK and Kajol is one of the worst I've ever seen. I told rhilex yesterday that it looks like they just threw a spare dress on Kajol and took the two of them out to the lobby to snap a couple pix. Not to mention their terrible makeup and the bad processing of the picture itself.

Filmi Girl said...

@Kiran Thanks! I just hate the dismissive attitude some of these media people have towards popular Indian film making. Just because he doesn't understand it doesn't mean it doesn't have value.

@ajnabi Star Box Office is pretty gossipy so I don't know how much truth is in the 7 roles thing. I thought it was an interesting rumor, though.

myrna_nora said...

Excellent rebuttal, Filmi Girl. Hollywood needs to realize they do not rule the world.

simran said...

Hmmm...I heard that Priyanka signed 7 roles for Vishal Bhardwaj's next film and not Ashu's.

I loved your rebuttal! Although it was hard for me to read because the font was so tiny and my eye sight basically sucks lol..But someone really needs to give Hollywood a reality check. Last time I checked, Bollywood movies were actually worth watching. ;)

rhilex said...

It was Vishal Bhardwaj's next film Priyanka's reportedly playing seven roles in-- both that article and Bollywood Hungama say so. =) I do think it's a bit ridiculous to play 7 roles after just doing 12, though.

And UGH. Yes, ajnabi and I both hate that pic of SRK and Kajol! When they finally get to be on a cover, the photographers and stylists just totally screw it all up. =( At least dress them in something that looks like... them. =/

Anonymous said...

Bollywood would do well to stay clear of the snotty Hollywood bosses. What's with this superior attitude towards one of the oldest, biggest and richest cultures? This is exactly how you turn people off. If anything, Hollywood has a lot to learn from Bollywood, but they will never admit that.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl