Sunday, December 1, 2002

2011 ADVENT CALENDAR DAY 1



"Pyar Kiya Toh Darna Kya" is one of my favorite Bollywood song picturizations. Madhubala was not the world's best dancer but she was an astounding actress and puts so much soul into this performance. She is so defiant and strong!

Add Dilip "The Thespian" Kumar and the legendary Prithviraj Kapoor and you have a piece of cinematic gold.

Can you imagine watching Mughal-e-Azam in black and white only to have this song pop up in FULL TECHNICOLOR? My mind would have been blown.

(Instead of wasting time colorizing the film, it should be restored and released on Blu-ray with a documentary and commentaries by experts. Are you listening, Criterion?)

2 comments:

yip said...

Yes, Criterion should get on this as soon as. Although, I've noticed that with some Criterion releases they've inconsistently messed with the sound which goes from sounding authentically rough (through age) to suddenly very clear and re-recorded. Kinda like it does on my DVD of Mughal-e-Azam.

From your right-up it sounds as is if this scene was originally colour in a black and white movie, a la Wizard of Oz and Ivan the terrible. Perhaps I've misunderstood.

Other bollyflicks I'd like to see released through Criterion with visual essays and the like: Pakeezah, Umaro Jaan, and Pathar ke Insan (just kidding about the last one).

myrna-nora said...

I remember seeing something where they showed part of the process of restoration/colorization. For a brief shining moment all the age and wear of the film was lifted away. Unfortunately, the next step was to remove all the shadows and depth, and to give everyone pastel clothing and orange skin.

Guru Dutt's Pyaasa would be next on my list for a real restoration.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl